Author Marketing Manager
Do you enjoy helping people get attention for their ideas?
Do you like thinking creatively, and coming up with unique pitches and angles?
Are you tired of boring, awful PR jobs, and want to be excited for work every day?
If this sounds like you, we've got your perfect job.
This is the perfect job for someone who has experience in the PR world, but is tired of the same old thing and really wants to take the next step in their career.
We call this role Author Marketing Manager because "combination of PR, client relations, storytelling, and even sales” won’t fit in the listing’s headline.
The core responsibility for this role is to work with authors to create a successful launch for their book. The role basically breaks down to these four tasks:
Be The Marketing Strategist
You’ll begin by figuring out the most compelling story ideas and media angles from the author's book, and from there you will come up with a complete marketing plan. You will be in charge of strategy from top to bottom. You'll also coordinate the details of the launch, and then be in charge of running the campaign for their book.
Work With Authors
Fortunately, you’ll be working with authors who've gone through our complete book process (described below). These are smart people with great ideas and well written, topical books that have a clear, compelling value proposition.
Most importantly, you will be the main point of contact for authors throughout the entire book launch process. You are their sherpa that takes them from beginning to end, you're the one who will build the relationship with them, and you are the one they will celebrate with when their book does well.
Pitch Journalists & Build Relationships
You'll be responsible for pitching journalists, but we don't approach pitching like most places. You aren't going to be dressing up tedious story lines; you’ll be able to share genuinely compelling ideas with the types of journalists who want them.
You'll research each journalist and make sure this is a story they could realistically be interested in. We only want to pitch to journalists and outlets that we are reasonably confident will want the story, so you've got to be very well versed in media, and know where to pitch and where not to.
Another part of this job is building and maintaining long term relationships with journalists as well. We want to make journalists' jobs easier and more productive by only pitching them things they like or could run, and to do that, you'll need to spend a lot of time building relationships with them.
Lead Your Team
You’ll be plugging into a team with capabilities in building author websites, creating media assets, and writing high quality content. Your job will be to oversee the pieces, and connect with the right media opportunities, to deliver results for the author.
Why should you work with us?
We’re Scribe Media, and we've created a new way for people to write and publish a book.
Instead of spending years at a computer typing it out themselves, and then being frustrated by the confusing and arcane book publishing process, we use an interview process that only requires about 40-50 hours on the phone with us for the author to turn their ideas into a book.
We do this with a structured interview process that walks them through the entire process, from positioning to outline, then systematic interviews, transcribing those interviews, and editing that into a book. Unlike ghostwriting, this is entirely their ideas, in their words and their voice. We do add not content, we only do the work to make it a book.
You can see some press about us here.
Why our mission matters
Our company started because a frustrated entrepreneur wanted to put all of her incredible knowledge and ideas into a book, but didn't have the time to write it or the patience to deal with the frustrating publishing process. So we solved her problem. The whole origin story is here.
Her book became an amazing success for her, and we realized the world was full of these people--smart people who should write a book, but don’t.
They just want a solution to their problem, and that's why Scribe Media exists: we are the best way for experts and professionals to turn their ideas and knowledge into books that help the world.
Our process has worked for over 700 authors already, and we are growing fast. Our ultimate goal is to be the default publishing option for professionals, and if we do that, we'll help create thousands of books that would never have otherwise existed, changing the lives of millions of people.
That's really exciting to us. Here is our co-founder talking about why this is so important.
What comes with being part of the Tribe
We're not going to try to pitch you a load of corporate doublespeak bullshit about who we are. Instead, to understand what it's like to work with us, you can read real quotes by real tribe members about what it's like to be part of this tribe:
- “You get to be part of building something that literally changes lives. This is work that matters.”
- “On your birthday, it’s possible you’ll return to your desk to find a tower of La Croix and Beyonce singing you Happy Birthday. Not even my family knows me this well, and I’d been with the Tribe for all of a month.”
- “Zero politics. I know, right? I didn’t believe it either until I got here.”
- “The coworker bar has been raised so high that I once described Scribe to my friends as, ‘Remember when we used to watch West Wing in college and we imagined that that’s how work would be when we grew up, and then we grew up and were profoundly disappointed? Turns out that tribes of insanely smart, committed, loving, passionate coworkers are real, and I found one.’”
- “No decisions are based on scarcity or fear or politics. What will make us better? How can we serve each other and our authors better? That's what we do.”
- “You will experience true servant leadership. Our CEO took an apprentice's salary so that he could invest more money to get the right people in the tribe, and he never talks about it. Our co-founders probably put in more hours than you, and they'll send you home to rest if they catch you in the office at ungodly hours. You will at some point in your week get a message from the CEO asking how he can help facilitate your work, and he means it.”
- “You are able and encouraged to speak your truth and be fully you. Every. Single. Day.”
- “You will experience selfless loyalty. You will at some point have a crisis at an inappropriate time of night and someone will answer a phone call and help you (sorry Brittany). You might also invent a disgusting cocktail involving everclear and flat tonic water, and someone will drink it with you (sorry Meghan).”
- “ZERO micromanagement, and open revisions to any policy that will improve existing workflows. Every process I’ve seen is thoughtful and reasonable. Anything that isn’t is up for revision.”
- “You will learn a new language. The words “Thank You Sir” will take on an entirely new meaning. I didn't even know #scooterlife was a thing before working here.”
- “You will be measured by results. True results. This is a culture that values EVERY Tribe member, has women in leadership, pays everyone equally and regardless of your sexual orientation, race or education level, the measurement is results!"
- “You will eventually get your own emoji in Slack (like the HalBomb). But it’s like a nickname: You can’t ask for it. You can’t pick it. You can’t give it to yourself. It is bestowed, based on who you are and what you do.”
- “People will constantly ask you “What’s it like to work with Tucker Max?” Everyone will be disappointed when you say, “He’s nothing like you’re expecting.”
- “No work theater!”
- “You will get to hear a milk-mustached Millennial unironically ask 'What’s the deal with Seinfeld anyway?'"
- “I get to bring my whole self to work every day, and no one ever tells me ‘that's not appropriate for work.’ Everyone here is fully human, all the time, both in their work and their lives.”
- “There are drawers full of meat at the office.”
- “This is a company that hasn’t taken any outside capital. The profit sharing isn’t just equity that gets paid off in 10 years if we IPO or get acquired. We get paid every quarter. I literally have never heard of a company like this.”
- “I enjoy the work that I do and the people I do it alongside so profoundly that I still wonder if this is secretly a social experiment.”
You In? Awesome, here's the details:
- Austin, TX (or willing to relocate, NO remote)
Type of Employment
- Full Time
Necessary Skills & Qualifications
Here is the list of skills we believe are necessary for this job. Most importantly, we are hiring based on careful balance of relevant experience, cultural fit, and motivation:
- PR / Media Experience: This is NOT an entry level position. You must have experience working in PR, ideally in a role where you have worked directly with both journalists and clients.
- Good Storyteller / Positioner: You must be able to find the essential story, "the hook." If you are really good at answering the "why does this matter to the audience" question that must be asked of all marketing, then you're right for this.
- You Have Emotional & Social Intelligence: A big part of this job will require high emotional and social intelligence. You must be able to understand and relate with people, feel their motivations, and genuinely care about helping them. This is not a loner, do-it-yourself-with-no-help, job. You will be developing a LOT of ongoing relationships with a ton of people in all sorts of media. You need to really thrive on interacting with people, and be good at it, to be good at this job.
- You Like Relationships with Journalists And Media: I know, but we're serious: a huge part of this job is knowing lots of different writers and journalists and what stories they want. We don't want you wasting time or energy pitching 100 people; if you know them well, you should be pitching the 5 right ones.
- You Are Organized & Task Oriented: This needs to be stated: even though most of your time will be spent talking to people or dealing with people, this is not a job for something who is sloppy with details. You will be running a department--this means overseeing freelancers, dealing with authors, and knowing journalists and media. You have to be able to get things done, and not lose track of things.
- You Are Self-Motivated And Get Shit Done: We don't want someone who has to be constantly managed. If you only work well with someone telling you what to do, DO NOT APPLY. You must be very self-motivated. There are no lifestyle roles here. We all work very hard every day, because we care about our mission, and what we do matters to us and other people. Authors rely on you. [NOTE: Hard work does not mean endless hours. It only means results. There is no coasting and no hiding here and you will be held accountable for achieving real results. If that doesn't excite you, this is the wrong tribe for you.]
Salary & Benefits
- Competitive Pay: 70k to 90k (experience dependent)
NOTE: The salary is not all you will make. All tribe members are entitled to discretionary profit sharing. When we say "profit sharing" we don't mean the BS "here's a tiny piece of equity that might be worth something in 10 years." We're already a profitable company, and 25% of the company profit goes to the Tribe. So every time we take profit distribution, you get a share of those actual profits
- Access To Full Benefits: Instead of spending our money on ping pong tables and beanbag chairs, we give you access to complete health care coverage, dental, life insurance, 401k, and pretty much everything else you could ever want.
- Be Part Of A Tribe: You read the testimonials above. We see ourselves as a tribe of people who are working hard together to accomplish a specific mission (become the default publishing option for professionals), in service of a larger purpose (create books that help the world). We have a pretty cool set of principles that we live by as a tribe, you should check it out, because this is the operating system for our tribe, and everyone in our company lives the values and principles outlined in this doc.
- Freedom: You can work from home, work while you travel, work in our office, make your own hours--we don't care. You can wear a three piece suit (like our CEO) or gym clothes (like our founders) or anything else--we don't care. We only care that you have reliable phone and internet connections and that you do your job well.
- Make A Real Impact: We are a small start-up (still under 40 full time tribe members) and you will be a major part of our team, and help shape our growth. Not only that, you won't just impact the company, you'll impact the world. Books are one of the very best ways to influence other people and change the way they think--and you'll be helping to make them a reality.
- Fun & Fast-Paced Work: We don’t have boring days. Some are hectic, some are hard, some are incredibly rewarding...but they are never boring and never exactly the same. That's what happens when you're solving real problems for people.
- Meet Interesting People: You're not just working on any books. Past authors include major company CEOs, famous entrepreneurs, professional athletes, and people with amazing personal stories. These are books people read and use.
At Scribe, we don’t just accept differences — we support them, celebrate them, and as a company, we thrive on them. Scribe is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and we actively look for and hire people who bring new perspectives and experiences to our tribe.