Executive Director, Marketing
About Vista Consulting Group Vista Consulting Group is the operating and consulting arm of Vista Equity Partners (www.vistaequitypartners.com), a private equity firm that specializes in acquiring software, data, and tech-enabled companies with over $43 Billion in cumulative capital commitments. The VCG team works in conjunction with the Vista investment professionals and key portfolio company employees to help current and newly-acquired businesses strengthen their operations through the implementation of standardized, repeatable and proven processes and methodologies. Explore our current (and past) companies here: https://www.vistaequitypartners.com/companies/
Why Vista Consulting Group?
The Vista family of companies represents, collectively, the fourth-largest software company in the world. We also have a relentless focus on talent – within Vista and across our companies – meaning you will work shoulder-to-shoulder with thoughtful, curious, and talented executives. In 2018, several of our CEOs were named among the top 50 SaaS CEOs: https://thesaasreport.com/the-saas-reports-top-50-saas-ceos-of-2018/
Your position within VCG would provide you with an opportunity to strengthen your existing skills, grow and widen your capabilities, and offer you an unparalleled opportunity for personal development and career growth. Do you aim to be the best in your field? Do you enjoy partnering with talented executives and collaborating on challenging business opportunities? Are you curious about how to make good businesses great? Are you motivated by seeing others succeed? Join us.
What's different about Vista?
- Vista Equity Partners invests in the long-term, sustainable success of our portfolio companies, with the industry's largest dedicated consulting arm (Vista Consulting Group). Today, VCG has a dedicated staff of over 130 employees, whose sole focus is driving success – helping leaders and teams within Vista businesses implement proven best practices, sharpen skills, broaden their networks, and continually advance their careers
- Vista actively invests in building high performing, diverse teams within Vista Consulting Group as well as within our portfolio companies
- Because Vista only invests in software, data, and tech-enabled companies, we are in a unique position to scale our best practices and tools across the portfolio, while also supporting talent growth across the Vista family ecosystem
Austin or Chicago preferred. Will also consider remote candidates.
We are searching for an Executive Director of Marketing, who will partner closely with Vista company Chief Marketing Officers, Chief Revenue Officers, and CEOs to drive successful transformations in coordination with the company's wider GTM engine.
This leader will work in tandem with experts across the Vista Consulting Group to ensure portfolio companies are aligned on both the strategy and execution tactics of the CEO's goals and targets, ultimately supporting powerful growth.
The ideal candidate will have prior experience leading a modern, effective Marketing organization in a B2B technology company, and may also have experience in Marketing consulting. The candidate should have experience leading and building organizations that span Marketing Communications, Product Marketing, Analyst Relations / PR, Brand, Demand Generation, Marketing Operations, Digital Marketing, Events, and Lead Development.
This person will play a critical role tasked with scaling the practice's Marketing expertise in line with Vista's growth objectives. The core mission of this role is innovating, ensuring our portfolio companies remain on the cutting edge in all aspects of marketing strategy, including:
- Strategic Alignment: Lead and contribute to the development of cross-functional executive priorities, budget planning, and the company marketing plan
- Digital-First Marketing leader: Demonstrated leadership in driving digital marketing transformation for an organization
- Marketing Technology (MarTech) expertise: Strong knowledge of the core technology requirements for a modern marketing organization, plus a vision for forward-looking needs and trends; expertise in contemporary Marketing Operations fundamentals
- Product Marketing: Expertise in aligning market segments, target buyers, and the most appropriate / effective strategies; Has created innovative buyer-centric content that impacted company results
- Demand Generation Experience: Prior ownership of the demand generation and marketing operations functions to plan and execute integrated campaigns that create and qualify demand to increase measurable bookings growth
- Data Driven: Can cite and advise on measuring (and reporting on) the efficacy of marketing efforts, ranging from company brand awareness, to initial engagement,through the entire lead generation process for prospects and customers
- Brand Building: Modern approach to brand building through thought leadership, quality content, and a brand-aligned messaging strategy; demonstrated success in strengthening brand resulting in revenue retention / growth; experience in customer reference marketing strategies
Detailed responsibilities include:
- Leading, coaching, developing, and managing a group of direct reports within the VCG Go-to-Market Practice, who serve as experts in Marketing Ops / Demand Generation,Product Marketing, and Digital Marketing
- Continue to evolve Vista's Marketing best practices and strategies to include leading-edge, repeatable, and measurable processes where Vista can deliver material results in partnership with portfolio companies through marketing transformation
- Ensure VCG's Marketing training programs (for portfolio company executives) represent the 'best thinking' for developing employees at various points in their career, and drive improved on-the-job results while accelerating participant career trajectory
- Work with Investment Professionals to enhance diligence capabilities to evaluate GTM organizations in potential acquisitions
- Understand critical connections across sales, marketing, customer success, and product management capabilities at each portfolio company, working with the Operating Principals, Value Creation team, GTM team members, and other functional practices to determine enhancements and changes needed to achieve investment thesis
- Partner closely with VCG's executive recruiting practice to assess CMO and marketing functional leadership talent and readiness for roles
- Create a culture of excellence that brings out the best in staff regardless of position
- Coach Vista Company CMO's on marketing board deck creation and presentations to articulate marketing's value and strategic initiatives
- Lead the Marketing Track to identify sessions and content for annual Best Practice Sharing Summit events
- Sophisticated communication skills, including strong presentation skills; an engaging speaker who can craft and present messages in a compelling, easy-to-understand manner
- Ability to engage with and influence executives both internally and externally across theC-suite; demonstrated strength at advocating and helping execute strategy
- An outstanding reputation as a client advisor and trusted counsel for leaders and executives
- Consistently operate with high integrity
- Ability to manage competing priorities and stakeholders to come to the best outcome
- Experience operating in both the tactical and strategic; able to set a long-term vision for talent at portfolio companies while ensuring pieces are in place to provide project leadership and support across the portfolio
- Demonstrated ability in building a team of experts to deliver world-class results
- Proven team development and leadership skills, able to inspire others to action and bind people to the firm
- 15+ years of experience including deep expertise both as a consultant at a world-class practice and as a practitioner in one or more marketing disciplines, ideally in a technology company
- Commercial experience outside Marketing a plus: Appreciates the interlock between functions that are heavily customer-facing (ranging from customer acquisition to services and support); has experiences beyond traditional marketing roles (e.g., owning demand generation teams, leading customer advisory boards with Product / serving in Product roles)
- Indirect experience plus: Capable in supporting indirect go-to-market motions (e.g.,referral partnerships, sell-through partnerships, etc.); has developed or led partner marketing efforts to great success
- Willingness to travel (expected travel in this role is 40-50% of the time, steady-state)
- Education: Bachelor's Degree in a relevant discipline, MBA degree preferred