Key responsibilities of this position:
- Provides overall strategic leadership to Product Safety & Quality Analysts, contractors and manages expectations for roles and responsibilities. Leads and coordinates strategy for team policies, procedures, processes, and outputs supporting Private Brands products throughout the lifecycle.
- Provides guidance and direction to Product Safety and Quality teams and Leaders for problem solving, coordination and resolution of product quality and food safety related incidents and customer questions/complaints.
- Provides strategic direction and coordination of initiatives, projects, timelines, and prioritization of workload to ensure timely and successful execution of routine projects and organizational objectives.
- Establishes and manages the group’s budget, operational plans, and performance requirements.
- Manages risks and assures the highest levels of product safety and quality across Private Brands and other food and non food supply chains.
- Ensures that reporting teams have a full and complete picture of corporate expectations, competitive trends, customer patterns and behaviors, and emerging regulations.
- Establishes and maintains external resources (Consultants, Contractors) to expand technical capabilities and effectively manage team bandwidth to align with business needs.
- Leads the management, monitoring and execution of Product Safety testing and related laboratory, consulting, and contractor budgets, remaining on time and within cost objectives.
- Upholds integrity and accuracy of existing Private Brands product information by maintaining accurate product data throughout the product lifecycle (inception to discontinuation) using supporting documents and PLM systems.
- Work’s cross-functionally with Private Brands, Global Merchandising, Nutritional Labeling, Legal and all Global QA teams to align, support and execute mutually beneficial quarterly and fiscal goals.
- Mentors the team leadership group in terms of skill and competency development; helps prepare the next level for succession and ensures ongoing contribution to company business development and growth.
- Supports the VP on vision and overarching strategy for growth and advancement of team organizational structure, roles and responsibilities, competencies, retention, growth, training, staffing, systems, and product technical support.
- Supports WFM’s executive leadership to define and communicate quality, safety standards, and expectations for both internal and external audiences.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in a scientific discipline (Food Science or similar) and 10 years relevant work experience in Food Safety and Quality food retail or manufacturing programs.
- 8 years’ minimum experience leading and managing individuals and teams.
- Proficient at developing, maintaining, and leveraging a strategic network of internal and external contacts and advisers.
- Strong project management skillset, decision making and strategic leadership acumen.
- Good understanding of product commercialization and effective Product Safety and Quality programs.
- Strong hands-on analytical skills/techniques
- Strong teamwork and interpersonal skills to facilitate interaction with cross-functional team members such as Merchandising, QC/QA, and Legal and outside vendors and consultants.
- Proficient in team building to ensure employees will work well together.
- Must be detail oriented and extremely organized.
- Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently while meeting established timelines.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to excel in a team setting.
- Computer proficiency and familiarity with Microsoft Office applications
- Effective public speaking and presentation skills.
- Experience working in consumer-packaged goods industry preferably food retail
- Knowledge of food safety and food processing environments
- Knowledge of food labeling and FDA/USDA regulations
- Familiarity of retailer web-based specification and product lifecycle management systems would be ideal.
At Whole Foods Market, we provide a fair and equal employment opportunity for all Team Members and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, marital status, disability, or any other legally protected characteristic. Whole Foods Market hires and promotes individuals solely based on qualifications for the position to be filled and business needs.