Durable Objects- Product Manager at Cloudflare (Austin, TX or Remote)
At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers approximately 25 million Internet properties, for customers ranging from individual bloggers to SMBs to Fortune 500 companies. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare all have web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list and ranked among the World’s Most Innovative Companies by Fast Company.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
About The Department
Cloudflare Workers allow customers to quickly build high performance applications that are deployed on Cloudflare’s edge network. The Workers team is responsible for building a platform that scales your application no matter how large or small. As a Product Manager on the Workers team you’ll be responsible for identifying new markets and building solutions to help customers develop and deploy their applications on Workers.
About The Role
Application development was completely transformed by the shift from on-premise to the cloud. No longer did a developer have to maintain their own hardware. But there’s still plenty of overhead involved in the software development process. What if, instead, developers could simply write code — and that code would be deployed all around the world, close to end users, so that it was incredibly performant?
That’s the vision for Cloudflare Workers — to bring the best of serverless and edge computing together, allowing developers to focus on what they do best: write code that matters.
Workers haven't stopped there. At Cloudflare Workers’ scale, managing shared state becomes difficult. Traditional databases restrict developers, have inconsistent performance and provide a poor developer experience.
Durable Objects addresses the problem of distributed state with Worker’s ingenuity, adding id-addressable, global singleton Objects that coordinate state across Workers requests. Durable Objects scale infinitely, letting developers define new architectures that divide applications up into many individual objects. Objects have access to a strongly consistent storage API, letting developers persist data at Cloudflare’s edge. Durable Objects are in production with major gaming and e-commerce companies and are the technology behind Cloudflare’s Waiting Room product.
As a product manager on the Durable Objects team, you’ll be tasked with expanding the addressable use-cases for Durable Objects and increasing adoption of the technology both within Cloudflare and in the market.
In this role, you’ll dive deep into developer’s distributed data needs, defining the roadmap and helping customers successfully adopt Durable Objects. You’ll work closely with customers to understand the market and their needs and with engineering to define and prioritize features coming out of your research.
This position requires you to be a self-starter with the ability to take ownership, work with tight timelines and handle various tasks simultaneously while maintaining a positive attitude. In addition, great oral communication and written documentation skills are critical for this role for promoting ideas throughout the company. A background working with distributed databases or serverless cloud technologies is a plus.
What You’ll Do
- Own the Durable Objects product, defining and communicating decisions about the product’s strategy and roadmap
- Lead projects from ideation through launch, and continuing through ongoing maintenance and support
- Drive new market opportunities for Durable Objects with customer research
- Develop and nurture relationships with Engineering and coordinate closely to ensure successful launch of new features
- Partner with other departments such as Product Strategy, Product Marketing, Marketing, Sales, and Customer Support to drive adoption and gather feedback from customers and prospects
- Ruthlessly prioritize across a complex environment of diverse customers, stakeholders and objectives
- Gain the trust and confidence of the Durable Objects team
- Help the market understand and adopt Durable Objects
- Represent the company externally as needed, including meetings with customers and prospects
Examples Of Desirable Skills, Knowledge And Experience
The ideal candidate is capable of deeply understanding customer problems and communicating them to engineering in a clear and concise manner. You thrive in a fast-paced and goal-driven environment. You have outstanding communication and collaboration skills and are able to work with a diverse group, get alignment, and drive the product forward. You are execution focused and emphasize getting things done while paying attention to important details. This role is open to Remote US, Austin or New York
- BS/MS in a technical discipline
- 3+ years of product management experience
- Proven track record of shipping products from ideation to launch
- Proven ability to articulate a vision and strategy in a way that inspires and motivates a team and focuses their energy on achieving business goals
- Skilled in providing analysis and estimation of the strategic and financial value of new products and features
- Strong technical abilities. You are intimately familiar with modern software development practices used to build and deploy applications. You are capable of wading into the details, but can also drive 30k foot view
- Experience building developer tools and advocating for developer’s needs
- Strong customer and stakeholder empathy. You must be not only the voice of the customer, but at various times the voice of marketing, finance, engineering, support and ops. You must be able to channel many points of view.
- Hands-on experience with distributed databases, serverless platforms and cloud-based architectures.
Compensation may be adjusted depending on work location. For Colorado-based hires: Estimated annual salary of $170,000 - $208,000.
This role is eligible to participate in Cloudflare’s equity plan.
Cloudflare offers a complete package of benefits and programs to support you and your family. Our benefits programs can help you pay health care expenses, support caregiving, build capital for the future and make life a little easier and fun! The below is a description of our benefits for employees in the United States, and benefits may vary for employees based outside the U.S.
Health & Welfare Benefits
- Medical/Rx Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Commuter Spending Accounts
- Fertility & Family Forming Benefits
- On-demand mental health support and Employee Assistance Program
- Global Travel Medical Insurance
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life & Accident Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan
- Employee Stock Participation Plan
- Flexible paid time off covering vacation and sick leave
- Leave programs, including parental, pregnancy health, medical, and bereavement leave
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
22.214.171.124: We released 126.96.36.199 to help fix the foundation of the Internet by building a faster, more secure and privacy-centric public DNS resolver. This is available publicly for everyone to use - it is the first consumer-focused service Cloudflare has ever released. Here’s the deal - we don’t store client IP addresses never, ever. We will continue to abide by our privacy commitment and ensure that no user data is sold to advertisers or used to target consumers.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws, including the U.S. Export Administration Regulations. Please note that any offer of employment may be conditioned on your authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export laws without sponsorship for an export license.
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at [email protected] or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.