Sr. Product Designer
ShipStation is the industry-leading provider of ecommerce fulfillment for small to medium-sized businesses. Our motto is:
- Wherever you sell.
- However you ship.
- Exceptionally efficient.
Very few people start a business because they love shipping packages. ShipStation exists to help entrepreneurs manage this painful but critical part of their business. Every improvement to our application enables an entrepreneur to invest more time in their company, their health, their hobbies or their friends and family.
ShipStation is looking for a Sr. Product Designer at our Austin office.
This role will play a critical role in delivering efficiency to our users. Ecommerce, enterprise and retail entrepreneurs alike rely on ShipStation to deliver efficient workflows and unmatched integrations across a wide range of ecommerce fulfillment and logistics providers.
On the ShipStation design team, every new feature we build is competing against the industry's leading application – ShipStation's own app. The bar is set high for understanding customer needs and delivering high-quality workflows, UI and experiences.
The Sr. Product Design role requires a mix of business savvy, design thinking, humility and willingness to be a productive member of a dedicated, passionate team.
The person who fills this role must understand how design feeds into larger business and strategic objectives:
- The structure of the existing application
- User's mental models
- How our customers manage their day-to-day workload
- Technical requirements
- Business needs
- Historical decision-making
- Best practices for communicating UI in enterprise and workflow applications
About the design team at ShipStation
- We don't talk about delight, we talk about getting the basics right.
- We strive to give our users 30 or 60 minutes of their day back (via efficiency in the ShipStation app).
- We're humble and approachable
- We focus on delivering value to our customers and to the business
The Sr. Product Designer will be a part of the design team by giving and accepting constructive feedback and documenting their work, ideas, and experiments. They will take part in our design processes and methodologies so that every project is more well-informed and polished than the previous one.
Being highly organized and an amazing communicator is a core part of this roles responsibilities. Each project will require a curious attitude when exploring the problem, an excellent listener and interviewer when gathering information from coworkers and customers.
This position reports to the Director of Product Design
- Participate in research calls and on-site visits
- Work with the design team to understand user needs and synthesize findings into Jobs-To-Be-Done statements
- Work with product managers to translate JTBD into features that will deliver value to customers
- Information architecture
- Understand the structure of the application
- Map user needs to workflows throughout the app
- Participate in whiteboarding sessions to help cross-functional teams gain alignment on the problem and the solution
- Visualize complex workflows in easy-to-understand diagrams
- (Bonus if you've read "How to Make Sense of Any Mess")
- Production design
- Work in Sketch, Abstract and InVision
- Build InVision prototypes for stakeholder validation and user testing
- Build production-ready mockups
- Collaborate with developers on hand-off
- Collaborate with developers to QA the final release
- Work with the design to give constructive feedback on in-progress design work
- Contribute to writing clear, concise in-app copy
- Contribute to writing error messages that can easily be understood by our users
- Degree in HCI, fine arts, UX or equivalent portfolio / work experience
- 5-8 years experience: wow us with your portfolio, your approach, your humility and your investment in getting it right for our customers
- Solid problem-solving skills, especially when it comes to complex workflows
- Experienced: in-depth knowledge of design disciplines and principles (user-centered design, layout, information architecture, typography / layout, ux patterns)
- Proficient: Adept with design tools like Sketch and InVision. Solid understanding of web technologies (HTML5 and CSS3)
- Collaborative: Excellent communications skills. Able to receive and incorporate feedback from peers as well as stakeholders, as well as provide constructive criticism. Enjoys working with others.
- Research-driven and customer focused: You're always looking for ways to know more about your users including both qualitative and qualitative methods for gathering data and feedback
- Talented: A portfolio of work that showcases strong design thinking (or similar) methodologies where users needs are the center of the solution.
- Organized: Can handle multiple projects at different phases of delivery at the same time, without sacrificing quality.
- Focused: a keen eye for detail and the ability to stay on task to ‘get it right’
- Team player
- Motivated: Desire to grow and improve as a person, a thinker, a designer
- Bonus: A background in web or mobile productivity apps / products, ability to do front-end coding using frameworks like Bootstrap, Angular, React, Backbone
This is a full-time position with a competitive salary based on your experience and portfolio. Please provide samples of your work or a link to your portfolio with your application.
What you are looking for in your career
- An office full of extremely talented, mission-driven people.
- The chance to use your skills to help a huge range of customers and business compete in the new and growing e-commerce landscape
- A company where you feel connected to and appreciated by your customers and coworkers for being great at your job
- Catered lunch at least once a week in a cool office space, in a great location inside one of the best cities in the USA (Austin!)
- Health, dental, vision insurance
- Employee Stock Purchase and 401k plans
- Flexible vacation and paid holidays
- Pick your own tech gear
- Weekly catered lunch
- Drinks and snacks of your choice + beer
ShipStation is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled