Vice President of Product
Are you a zealot for Product in an organization?
Are you fanatical about great customer experiences? Do you love digging into a customer’s pains, industry trends, market conditions, and more, all to evaluate the information, chew it up, and find within it the exact right answer about what a fast-growing and fast-developing company should do next?
Join us as our VP of Product, and be instrumental in helping set and achieve our vision to change behavior and revolutionize payment in the gigantic and increasingly tech-savvy construction industry.
If you have the right stuff to join us, you'll join passionate professionals who are disrupting a $1 Trillion industry, in a dynamic, rapidly growing, and professionally challenging environment. The role demands passion and zeal for the Product craft, great technical depth, well-honed business sense, empathy for users who may be nothing like you, and a stubborn ability to look at how everyone else is approaching a problem and not conforming.
This role can be based in either Austin, TX or New Orleans, LA.
Why It’s Exciting
This is an exciting opportunity to:
- Work on Product-led growth challenges;
- Work in the globally massive construction technology sector that is red-hot with investor interest;
- Build a category around the impactful problem of construction payment;
- Work with a thoughtful and inspiring team who are working together on the meaningful cause of empowering people in the construction industry to always get what they earn.
What You’ll Do
Setting The Product Vision
You’ll embrace Product's role in the organization, and set our vision. You'll collect the tea leaves from our history, our market, other markets, customer & internal feedback, and more, and standing on the shoulders of what we have today, you'll pull everything together to create a diamond clear product vision, supported by an organic road map that does justice to the company’s opportunity, drives escape velocity demand to the product, holds stellar retention rates with users, and delivers WOW moments that amaze and drive raving fans.
Marketing The Product Vision Internally & Externally
Internally and externally, you will be the chief marketer for your vision. This means you’ll shake the table at executive meetings and planning sessions. You’ll stand before the Board, shareholders, and potential investors, and inspire them to see how your product vision will create high-reaching enterprise value. Alongside product marketing, you'll get our user base, fans, enemies, and the industry as a whole to be enthralled and intrigued for what's to come. And you’ll smoothly and consistently communicate the road map to all internal teams, especially the engineering team, who you’ll work with closely, so they can be stopped at any moment of any day and, when asked, rattle off the vision and the immediate-term road map, with a sparkle of excitement and anticipation in their eye; and you’ll watch how that sparkle trickles its way into the conversations they have with users, potential users, partners, investors, and fellow team members.
Building & Leading The Product Team To Execute That Vision
You’ll inherit a product team with good product muscle, and who have nice tenure with the company and a firm grasp of the customer, the problem, the market, and the opportunity. This includes a Product Director, an Associate Product Director, 4 product managers, a UI designer, additional design and brand resources borrowed from marketing, and a top-notch product marketing leader and department that, while working under marketing, will be your close neighbor. You'll lead and nurture this team, build it out further, push them to grow as product professionals and leaders, and get them to next-level production.
Measuring & Reporting On Product Execution
You’ll know when things are going well or poorly, and when we're are delivering the goods, because you will mature the way we measure, report, and analyze our product efforts. You’ll make sure these measurements are clear and comprehensive, and are front and center to all involved, and they will help the company make and support product and business decisions.
All The Tablestakes Stuff
Product documentation will be done excellently. QA will meet your high standards. You’ll juggle all the feedback asking for a little of this and that, and you’ll separate the important, the essential, and the distractions. Your team will use the best tools (today we use ProdPad and JIRA), and those tools will be well pruned, run, optimized, and cashed in on.
Who You’ll Work With
- The CEO and Executive Team
- Your Product Team & Your Close Neighbors in Marketing, Engineering, & Product Marketing.
- The Company’s Board of Directors
- Our Customers.
What We’d Like To See
- 10+ years in product roles and 5+ years operating at a leadership level.
- History of driving product vision, and shipping multiple products concurrently with cross-functional teams.
- BS/MS in a technical field, or substantial frontend and backend technical experience with SaaS applications so you can have meaningful discussions with engineers about architecture and product decisions.
- A high Marketing IQ.
- Experience in products that create demand generation and lead growth for their companies.
- Track record of building simple, great, beautiful products.
- Strong consumer empathy and strategic intuition.
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial, "all hands on deck" and highly innovative environment.
- Experience with both start-ups and larger scale consumer products (i.e. millions of users).
What We Expect & What Should Be True About You
- You are curious and always getting better, in ways related to Product, and otherwise. In 12 months, we want to barely recognize you.
- You know Product cold and can bring everyone on our team, from the executive team to the Board, to school on Product, on Product led growth, and how Product works across multiple different types of organizations.
- You know how to lead, and not in a small way, but in a big way. The art of leadership is not getting the numbers to foot, keeping your team “happy,” or figuring out a clever way to move something down an assembly line. It’s getting other people to do all of that and do it better than you ever could do, in encouraging people to exceed their own expectations, in inspiring people to be great, and in getting them to do it all together, in harmony. You can show us that you understand and can do this.
- You have passion, and it pushes you to endure.
Benefits & What We Offer:
We have an inventive and uplifting culture inspired by mission and bound together in values. We love how our mission and values push us to work harder, think bigger, take risks, and challenge the status quo. We literally ask everyone on the team to judge our culture every day, and we live up to our high standards. Here are some benefits we offer:
- This is a place where you can do your best work. You'll wrestle with big challenges, have resources to meet them, work with stunning colleagues, and love working here.
- Get invested in an electric opportunity with considerable upside with equity options.
- Full paid Health insurance. Dental / Vision group plan available.
- Professional Development budget.
- Open vacation policy with minimums, but not maximums.
- Subsidized International Travel because we highly value intellectual curiosity and perspective.
- Flexible paid sick, parental, & personal leave policy.
- Team lunches & stocked snacks.
- Dog-friendly office.
About Levelset (formerly zlien)
Levelset helps contractors and suppliers get payment under control, and envisions a world where no one loses a night’s sleep over payment.
Over 500,000 contractors and suppliers connect on Levelset’s cloud-based platform to make payment processes stress-free. Users easily exchange payment documents like lien waivers, pay applications, and preliminary notices, they see a complete picture of who is on their job, and are empowered with the resources and knowledge they need to be confident in payment. The results are faster payments and fewer surprises.
Levelset is venture-backed by S3 Ventures, Altos Ventures, and Brick & Mortar Ventures. Headquartered in New Orleans with offices in Austin and Cairo, Egypt, Levelset employs more than 150 people. We’re a rapidly growing team working on interesting and worthwhile problems, with a mountain of opportunity for you.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Are you ready?