Manager, Developer Documentation at BigCommerce
BigCommerce’s mission is to help merchants sell more at every stage of growth, from small startups, to mid-market businesses to large enterprises. We focus on being the best ecommerce platform so our customers can focus on what matters most: growing their businesses.
We are equally passionate about growing our employee’s careers and providing them an incredible experience as we rapidly expand across the globe. We are proud to have been recognized numerous times for our product and workplace culture. We empower our people and customers to build, innovate and grow, so together we can redefine the ecommerce industry.
We are seeking a Manager, Developer Documentation to lead the Developer Documentation team. You will work with all key partners to refine, augment, and lead resources crafted for the developer audience. By doing so, you will help to grow, evolve, and scale this program over time. You will be responsible for developing processes, strategies, and metrics required to efficiently run and scale our developer-specific resources, documentation, and end-user experience.
Using your extensive technical and leadership experience, you will manage a team of writers, develop a documentation strategy, give feedback, collaborate internally, and lend specific content expertise.
You will succeed by increasing the usage, relevancy, accuracy, and helpfulness of public-facing resources across our developer ecosystem, as well as by working to define, monitor and maintain the metrics that show your success. You are required to create and follow through on project plans, objectives, and strategies for content and resource management in order to improve the end-user experience. The work you will supervise will be impactful and highly visible to millions of our users across the globe.
What You’ll Do:
- Manage content experience for all public-facing BigCommerce developer-related resources, including style guide(s), content presentation/structure, and taxonomy, with a focus on ensuring content is relevant, accurate, consumable, and accessible.
- Foster and nurture deep cross-functional relationships between Docs, UX, Product, Engineering, Learning & Development, Customer Support, and other internal teams.
- Provide direction in the development and implementation of a formal content strategy for the developer audience.
- Develop and manage best practices, guidelines, and policies for documentation creation, management, and publication.
- Lead and account for the performance of team members and their critical metrics.
- Evolve business processes and improve business workflows to increase team efficiency, productivity, and effectiveness.
- Develop and report on key metrics associated with public-facing developer resources, crafting action plans as needed based on insights and trends.
- Gather usability feedback from various audiences to ensure continual improvement
- Bachelor’s degree in Technical Communications or related field.
- 5+ years content lifecycle management experience.
- 1+ years experience managing people and resources preferred.
- Ability to disseminate technically sophisticated concepts into a simplified and well-organized format for consumption by a wide range of audiences.
- Strong developer orientation, with an understanding of developer needs and concerns.
- Familiarity with API concepts and documentation.
- Proficiency in 1+ programming language.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently with little oversight.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills.
- Strong interdepartmental communication and relationship-building skills.
- Ability to manage multiple simultaneous priorities effectively.
- Familiarity with project management concepts and related software, e.g. JIRA.
- Experience with Markdown-based documentation platforms.
- Experience with documentation platform analytics and event tracking tools such as Google Analytics and Segment.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the interview process, to perform essential job functions and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you need an accommodation in order to interview at BigCommerce, please let us know during any of your interactions with our recruiting team.
Learn more about the BigCommerce team, culture and benefits at https://careers.bigcommerce.com.