Technical Writer - Internal Engineering at Cloudflare (Remote)
At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers approximately 25 million Internet properties, for customers ranging from individual bloggers to SMBs to Fortune 500 companies. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare all have web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list and ranked among the World’s Most Innovative Companies by Fast Company.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
About the Role
As a Technical Writer focused on internal engineering at Cloudflare, you will partner with engineers and other technical stakeholders to write, structure, and maintain high-quality developer content including conceptual overviews, procedures, and code walkthroughs. You will support developer productivity by enabling engineers to quickly ship reliable code by minimizing cognitive overhead.
As part of the Product Content Experience (PCX) team, you will also work closely with a variety of documentation experts that create content used by millions of people daily. You will work in a collaborative environment with the goal to create findable, usable, and accurate internal documentation.
- Create and edit documentation for internal engineering platforms, concepts, and interfaces according to company guidelines.
- Collaborate with engineers and product managers to document key architectural components in easily referenceable structures.
- Work closely with a variety of product and engineering stakeholders to consolidate documentation from multiple content sources into unified, searchable formats.
- Work independently and manage multiple simultaneous projects.
- Create and maintain a thriving documentation culture that enables innovative ways to deliver, author, analyze, and interact with internal technical content.
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills - must provide samples of excellent technical writing skills
- Each sample should be 500-1,000 words in length, and at least one sample should be a technical procedure
- 2+ years of professional technical writing experience for technical and general consumer audiences
- Experience with information architecture for large documentation sets
- Knowledge of software development processes and a keen interest in working with complex technical operations, data structures, and software design
- Familiarity with databases, HTML, Markdown, CSS, and JSON
- Bachelor's degree or higher in English, Technical Communication, or other major with writing-intensive component and/or a technology emphasis
- Knowledge of web servers, networking, HTTP, DNS and command line tools on Linux, Windows and Mac
- Experience creating automated documentation tools
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
184.108.40.206: We released 220.127.116.11 to help fix the foundation of the Internet by building a faster, more secure and privacy-centric public DNS resolver. This is available publicly for everyone to use - it is the first consumer-focused service Cloudflare has ever released. Here’s the deal - we don’t store client IP addresses never, ever. We will continue to abide by our privacy commitment and ensure that no user data is sold to advertisers or used to target consumers.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws, including the U.S. Export Administration Regulations. Please note that any offer of employment may be conditioned on your authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export laws without sponsorship for an export license.
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at [email protected] or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.