Technical Writer at Amherst (Remote)
Amherst is revolutionizing the way U.S. real estate is priced, managed and financed in order to unlock opportunities for all market participants. Driven by data, analytics, and technology, Amherst has a 20-year history of anticipating where the next risks and opportunities are likely to emerge and designing actionable strategies for investors to capitalize on opportunities across residential real estate, commercial real estate and public securities. Amherst, along with its affiliates and subsidiaries, has more than 900 employees, $5 billion under management and approximately $15 billion under advisement and oversight. www.amherst.com.
Amherst is hiring a technical triter who will be responsible for preparing and delivering technical documentation explaining how our software products work to internal customers and executives in a way that captivates, engages, and is easy-to-understand!
The technical writer should be prepared to answer customers’ technical questions and effectively communicate customer needs to the product management team. If you can creatively explain and present complex concepts in an easy to understand manner, and obsess about simplifying the customer journey and experience, we’d like to speak with you. We are looking for a dynamic, organized self-starter to join our growing Technology team.
A little more about this role.
- Learn the technical details concerning how our software works and what problems it solves for our customers
- Produce a wide range of educational material from in-app Help, FAQs and interactive user guides to more detailed user manuals, videos, tips and tricks and product overviews
- Partner with Learning & Development (L&D) to support the delivery of in-person and online product demonstrations and training to end-users so they are equipped on how to use our solutions on day 1
- Advise end-users on how best to use the products, provide feedback to the product team and continually improve/maintain a high standard of educational material
- Provide advanced training and support for new members of the technology team
- Communicate new feature releases and product updates across the organization
- Work closely with both technology, L&D and the business to define the training plan that guarantees the success and user readiness for new product launches
- Develop documentation for custom applications and solutions using a variety of mediums (eg process flows, templates, how-to guides, functional and technical documentation and change control documentation.)
What you’ll need to have.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a technical writing and documentation role, preferably in software development
- Knows how to write and loves doing it! Can make the complicated seem simple and obsesses about the details punctuation, grammar, the audience – to produce awesome guides that are fun and effective
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products (PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Visio, Stream, Sharepoint), Interactive user guide software, E-Learning technology and Salesforce solutions
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with a highly inquisitive nature – you enjoy the research and exploration of what our products do and the use cases they support as much as the writing itself
- A self-starter who is highly collaborative (you will be working closely across Product, Business and L&D teams)
- Organized and structured – you understand that technical writing needs a system that ensures it is continually relevant and up to date, and are a proponent of single single sourcing’ (one input can produce multiple outputs)
- Ability to work to tight timelines through multi-tasking, prioritizing and planning work
Additional Skills and Experience. (Preferred, but Not Required)
- Experience in the real estate industry/software development is a plus.
- Public speaking, presentation and instructional experience is not required, but is a bonus
- Experience with video production is helpful (‘if a picture can speak a thousand words, then a video is worth a million)
- Experience with Agile Methodology and JIRA
Our full-time employee benefits include:.
- A competitive compensation package, annual bonus, and 401k match.
- Flexible PTO including 7 paid holidays, 1 floating holiday, and 1 volunteer day.
- Employer-paid benefits (medical, dental, vision, and health savings account).
- Professional career development and reimbursement.
- Up to 16 weeks of paid maternity leave; up to 4 weeks of paid parental leave.
- Backup childcare offered through Bright Horizons.
- Relaxed casual environment with virtual office events.
Our full-time employee benefits include:
- A competitive compensation package, annual bonus, 401k match
- Flexible PTO including 7 paid holidays, 1 floating holiday, and 1 volunteer day
- Employer-paid benefits (medical, dental, vision, health savings account)
- Professional career development and reimbursement
- Up to 16 weeks paid maternity leave; up to 4 weeks of paid parental leave
- Backup childcare offered through Bright Horizons
- Relaxed casual environment with virtual office events
Amherst is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or veteran status, and encourage all applicants to apply.