Business Development Lead - Data Platform
Invitae is a rapidly growing medical genetics company driven by the mission to bring comprehensive genetic information into mainstream medicine to improve the quality of healthcare for billions of people. To support this mission, Invitae is looking to add an experienced business development leader to drive the growth of our data platform partnership efforts. Invitae’s data platform is a core part of the company’s strategic growth priorities and we’re looking for a team lead to chart the growth trajectory.
The role will lead a team that will pursue partnerships to expand Invitae’s data platform offerings to various stakeholders in the healthcare ecosystem, including biopharma companies, health systems, payers and others. This data platform business development team will be responsible for generating new leads, following up on inbound leads, building relationships with senior leaders at partner organizations, presenting the vision for potential partnerships, drafting contracts, and conducting negotiations.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Establishing, building and evolving relationships with senior leaders at partners organizations across the healthcare ecosystem, including biopharma, health systems, payers and others
- Collaborating with Invitae teams including Biopharma Business Development, Health Systems Business Development, Sales, Marketing, Medical Affairs, and Compliance teams to identify, prioritize and execute partnerships
- Leading and supporting data platform team members to execute on the mandate to grow data platform partnerships
- Creating partnership models and go-to-market strategies based on customer needs, business performance, market dynamics and competitive landscape
- Leading discussions with senior management at potential customers to understand partner needs, present Invitae’s capabilities, and develop a joint vision of success and deliver a path to execution
- Structuring and negotiating partnership agreements, including in cases where a creative and novel approach is required due to unique client needs
- 10+ years of experience in relevant business development roles focused on biopharma or data/analytics
- Experience leading a dynamic and high performing business development team
- Deep understanding of biopharma companies, including their needs, how they operate and how to sell to them
- Strong executive presence, customer-focused orientation, and exceptional judgement to ensure diverse client needs are addressed amidst an unstructured environment
- Collaborative team member who is eager to work closely with Invitae colleagues
- Analytical mindset with experience in data analysis, reporting, and identifying the “so what” behind the data
- Notable experience with conducting negotiations with external partners
- Excellent written and oral communication skills that enable delivering complex concepts in a simple and compelling way
- Eagerness to explore the scientific, medical and commercial applications of genetic and clinical data
- Comfort operating and thriving in an unstructured and ambiguous environment
- Domain knowledge in genetics is a plus
Location: Anywhere in the U.S.
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.