Business Intelligence Analyst at Amherst
Amherst is revolutionizing the way U.S. real estate is priced, managed and financed in order to unlock opportunities for all market participants. Driven by data, analytics, and technology, Amherst has a 20-year history of anticipating where the next risks and opportunities are likely to emerge and designing actionable strategies for investors to capitalize on opportunities across residential real estate, commercial real estate and public securities. Amherst, along with its affiliates and subsidiaries, has more than 900 employees, $5 billion under management and approximately $15 billion under advisement and oversight. www.amherst.com.
Amherst is hiring a Business Intelligence Analyst to support the Accounting & Finance teams. This role includes implementing solutions for optimizing and automating existing reporting as well as leveraging tools such as SQL and Tableau to create and monitor new key performance indicators and operational metrics. This is a great opportunity for someone who is interested in working alongside a fast-paced, data-driven team to help the organization achieve its strategic objectives.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Tackle complex business problems by converting raw data into meaningful and actionable business insights. Collaborate directly with peers and business leaders to transform ideas into actions.
- Leverage analytic problem-solving skills in working with large disparate, datasets to support accounting and financial reporting
- Utilize Microsoft SQL Server for extraction and analysis of data from multiple sources with demonstrated ability to effectively decipher, analyze and report data
- Develop reports and dashboards using tools such as Tableau, Python or Excel for internal and external customers
- Assist with preparation and automation of recurring /ad-hoc reporting assignments
- At least 2 years of data analysis experience
- Advanced SQL query writing, optimization and debugging skills. Experience working in a Microsoft SQL Server environment is preferred.
- Understanding of relational database structures and features; full stack application designs.
- Accounting or finance background with strong emphasis in financial reporting and valuation methods.
- Knowledge of GAAP and other accounting concepts.
- Experience analyzing and testing transactional data and/or general ledger data.
- Ability to interview and extract key information from business users and stakeholders to be translated into technical requirements
- Ability to communicate and document complex technical concepts and processes in easy to follow, logical business language.
- Ability to respond to the questions and needs of the business with minimal guidance. Creative problem solving.
- Ability and the desire to identify insights, anomalies, and design flaws to recommend improvements to both human and software systems that are the driving forces behind data applications and business intelligence.
- Ability to reason and question independently, leave your bias and assumptions at the door. Develop strong methods to evaluate, test and validate your work and the discipline to execute those methods, adhering to mathematical and data structure design principles.
- Interest in design concepts, systems thinking. Avoids spaghetti coding and always considers end user experience.
- Interest or experience with automation preferred.
- Experience with Python, MS SQL Server (SSMS, SSRS etc), and BI Tools (tableau preferred).
- Bachelor’s degree in Management Information Systems, Finance, Mathematics, Economics, Computer Science, Engineering or related quantitative discipline, or equivalent experience
- Understanding of Big Data concepts and experience with Hadoop, presto, hive, snowflake, or DB visualizer is a plus.
- Experience with Salesforce or Yardi Voyager is a plus.
Our full-time employee benefits include:
- A competitive compensation package, annual bonus, 401k match
- Flexible PTO including 7 paid holidays, 1 floating holiday, and 1 volunteer day
- Employer-paid benefits (medical, dental, vision, health savings account)
- Professional career development and reimbursement
- Up to 16 weeks paid maternity leave; up to 4 weeks of paid parental leave
- Backup childcare offered through Bright Horizons
- Relaxed casual environment with virtual office events
Amherst is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or veteran status, and encourage all applicants to apply.