Buying a home should be an exciting milestone. But all too often, it’s stressful, especially in a competitive market or when you’re buying and selling at the same time. So we’re redesigning the home-buying experience. We’re a fast-paced real estate startup that empowers agents to help homebuyers buy with cash. We buy homes on behalf of our partners’ clients with our cash, then the client buys the home back from us.
Founder and CEO Tim Heyl, a 10-year industry veteran and owner of one of the fastest-growing agent teams in the country, started Homeward in 2018. In fact, he bought our first customer’s home with his own life savings. Today we offer two services — Buy with cash and Buy before you sell — in Texas, Colorado, and Georgia.
We’ve raised more than $160MM in equity capital from top-tier venture investors, including Norwest, Blackstone Alternative Asset Management, Adams Street, Javelin, and LiveOak. Our leadership team includes experts from the real estate, mortgage, and technology industries.About the Role
We're seeking a Data Engineer to help us build a simpler, more customer-centric home buying and selling experience in partnership with real estate agents.
This role is not eligible to be performed from Colorado. This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
In this role, you will:
- Work with the engineering team to design and implement the next evolution of our data infrastructure, including our event streaming platform, data pipeline, and data lake / warehouse.
- Contribute to and refine our overall platform strategy and architecture.
- Work with product managers and analysts to design and build solutions that fulfill operational and reporting needs throughout the company.
- Assist the rest of the engineering organization in determining and implementing best practices for event management and data hygiene.
- Work collaboratively across the organization to understand business needs, and use those to drive technology decisions.
- Assess the tradeoffs between picking off-the-shelf software and building something in house, be able to clearly communicate the rationale behind that decision, and help drive execution of delivering on business needs with either approach.
- Work alongside the rest of the engineering team to help automate and optimize our workflows.
- 2+ years experience designing and building durable, highly-available data pipelines and services, while still optimizing for delivering value as quickly as possible.
- Experience with an object-oriented/object function scripting language like Python or Scala
- Experience deploying and using data streaming platforms (such as Kafka, Pulsar, Kinesis, GCP Pub/Sub, etc.) and programmatic orchestration frameworks (such as Airflow or Oozie)
- Advanced working knowledge of SQL and familiarity with a variety of relational and non-relational databases (including analytics-focused options).
- Experience with cloud-based PaaS and IaaS offerings (most notably AWS, GCP, and Heroku).
- Experience working on a small, tight-knit, high-performing engineering team.
“Treat others how you want to be treated.” We’re building our company culture and customer experience with this as the guiding principle. It’s a simple rule, but emphasizes that we don’t prioritize money or growth over people.
We don’t chase every opportunity and rush from urgent task to urgent task. We relax, stay calm, and focus on our company-wide objectives. If something is out of scope, we say “no”. If something feels rushed we slow down and think it through so we can avoid unnecessary rework later. We don’t bombard each other with notifications expecting instant response times. We block off time for deep work so we can get into the flow and create solutions our customers love. Multi-tasking isn’t effective or enjoyable.
Cross Functional Collaboration
We look at our customers’ experience holistically and recognize that improving it requires support from multiple functions. Given this, we’re excellent collaborators. No function is more important than another and we’re eager to work as a team to solve our customers’ toughest problems. We value strong internal alignment, and take pride in understanding and considering our teammates' perspectives before expressing our own.