Atlassian is looking for a Data Engineering Manager to join our Data Engineering team and build world-class data solutions and applications that powers crucial business decisions throughout the organization. We are looking for an open minded, structured thinker who is passionate about building systems at scale. You will enable a world-class engineering practice, drive the approach with which we use data, develop backend systems and data models to serve the needs of insights, and play an active role in building Atlassian's data driven culture. You love thinking about the ways the business can consume data and then figuring out how to build it.
On a typical day, you may be consulted on the information architecture of our data lake and help design and/or optimize the event collection infrastructure. You will be working with different stakeholders to understand the business needs and architect/build the data models, data acquisition/ingestion processes and data applications that can help address those needs. You have got industry experience working with large scale, high-performance data processing systems (batch and/or streaming) to drive Atlassian's business growth and improve the product experience. Constantly striving to optimize the data pipelines/infrastructure with the goal of providing data with quality and trust. As the data domain expert, you will be partnering with our technology teams, analytical teams, and data scientists across various initiatives.
You'll lead the team and own a problem end-to-end, providing solutions by understanding the systems that generated it and automate your analyses and reporting. On an on-going basis, you'll be responsible for defining and implementing data engineering best practices and improving the data by adding new sources, coding business rules, and producing new metrics that support the business. Requirements will be vague, and Iterations will be rapid. You will need to be nimble and take smart risks.
More about you
As a data engineering manager, you will have the opportunity to apply your strong technical experience on expanding existing analytics data models that supports a broad range of analytical requirements across the company. You will work with extended teams to continually evolve solutions as business processes and requirements change. You enjoy working in a fast-paced environment and you are able to take vague requirements and transform them into solid framework-based solutions. You are motivated by solving challenging problems, where creativity is as crucial as your ability to hands on writing the code.
On your first day, we'll expect you to have:
- A BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience with 10+ years professional experience with 4+ years of experience managing data engineering team or in a similar role
- Develop and execute data roadmap aligning with product, global analytics, engineering, platform, data science strategy teams
- Manage and elevate team members with the ability to get the best out of them and build strong engagement and grow their careers
- Build partnerships with cross-functional teams to have better collaboration with engineering, product management, analytics, data science, and platform
- Interface with our global analytics team and other stakeholders, gathering requirements and delivering solutions
- Manage and execute data lake plans for a product or a group of products to solve well-scoped problems
- Identify the data needed for a business problem and implement data observability required to ensure quality, completeness & availability of data, with proactive altering solutions
- Build data expertise and leverage data controls to ensure privacy, security, compliance, and operations for allocated areas of ownership
- Build the data products, features, tools and frameworks that enable and empowering data engineering, analytics teams across Atlassian with our data
- Programming skills using Python & Java (good to have)
- Experience in designing data models for optimal storage and retrieval to meet critical product and business requirements
- Experience building scalable data pipelines using Spark leveraging Airflow scheduler/executor framework or similar scheduling tool
- Experience working in a technical environment with cutting-edge technologies like AWS data services (S3, Redshift/snowflake, Athena, EMR) or similar, Apache projects (Spark, Flink, Hive, Kafka/Kinesis)
- Ability to understand and influence logging to support our data flow, architecting logging framework & best practices where needed
- Understanding of Data Engineering tools/frameworks and standards to improve the productivity and quality of output for Data Engineers across the team
- You're well versed in modern software development practices (Agile, TDD, CICD) and how they can apply to data engineering
- Working knowledge of relational databases and query authoring (SQL)
- Experience with SaaS companies
- We'd be super excited if you have experience with ML engineering
- Followed a Data mesh architecture with any of your previous deployments
- Experience managing a team across multiple geo's
Above all else, as a data engineering manager, you will be leading the development process, driving architectural decisions, and incorporating business and technology strategy. You will be earning the trust of other data engineers in the team and then coaching and influencing them into the right behaviors to build the solutions.
More about the team
The data engineering team is responsible for managing multiple analytical data models and data pipelines all across Atlassian, including finance, growth, product analysis, customer support, sales, marketing, etc. - so there are endless opportunities for growth. We maintain Atlassian's data lake and build a creative and reliable analytics data model that provides a unified way of analyzing our customers, our products, our operations, and the interactions among them.
You'll be joining a team that is crazy smart and very direct. We ask hard questions and challenge each other to constantly improve our work. We are self-driven but team-oriented. We're all about enabling growth by delivering the right data and insights in the right way to partners across the company.
More about our benefits
Whether you work in an office or a distributed team, Atlassian is highly collaborative and yes, fun! To support you at work (and play) we offer some fantastic perks: ample time off to relax and recharge, flexible working options, five paid volunteer days a year for your favourite cause, an annual allowance to support your learning & growth, unique ShipIt days, a company paid trip after five years and lots more.
More about Atlassian
Creating software that empowers everyone from small startups to the who's who of tech is why we're here. We build tools like Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket, and Trello to help teams across the world become more nimble, creative, and aligned-collaboration is the heart of every product we dream of at Atlassian. From Amsterdam and Austin, to Sydney and San Francisco, we're looking for people who want to write the future and who believe that we can accomplish so much more together than apart. At Atlassian, we're committed to an environment where everyone has the autonomy and freedom to thrive, as well as the support of like-minded colleagues who are motivated by a common goal to: Unleash the potential of every team .
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians is the driver of our success. To make sure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience we never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
If your experience looks a little different from what we've identified and you think you can rock the role, we'd love to learn more about you.
Learn more about Atlassian's culture, interviewing flow, and hiring process by checking out our Candidate Resource Hub .