Data Scientist / Machine Learning Engineer (NLP) at Invitae
Invitae is dedicated to bringing comprehensive genetic information into mainstream medicine to improve healthcare for billions of people. Our team is driven to make a difference for the patients we serve. We are leading the transformation of the genetics industry, by making genetic testing affordable and accessible for everyone to guide health decisions across all stages of life.
Invitae needs engineers with diverse backgrounds to help us achieve our mission. We are a cross-functional team of scientific domain experts and dedicated, curious engineers. We build systems that take massive amounts of genomic data, combine it with the world’s scientific literature, add to it years of rigorously curated results, and package it all neatly for our scientists to consume. It’s a lot of information. As the data gets bigger, our systems need to get better and faster. That’s where you come in.
This role is with our new Ciitizen team. Ciitizen is a health technology platform that enables patients with cancer and rare neurologic disorders to collect, digitize, and share their health information. We are looking for an experienced and motivated Machine Learning Engineer (NLP) to join our Data Science team. In this role, you will be working with other data scientists and engineers to help build our unstructured data extraction pipeline. You will be responsible for leveraging the latest machine learning and natural language processing technology to structure and normalize data from medical records. The ideal candidate will have no issue digging into messy data, working with clinical subject matter experts to develop annotation guidelines to produce high-quality machine learning models. As a data scientist at Ciitizen, you will have the opportunity to touch all parts of the machine learning project lifecycle from dataset curation to model deployment.
- 2+ years experience prototyping and deploying production NLP / Machine Learning models
- 3+ years experience with Python and solid software development skills
- Familiarity with common NLP/ML frameworks (Spacy, Pytorch, TensorFlow, Keras)
- Fluency in state-of-the-art machine learning techniques including Transformers, CNNs, RNNs to solve NLP tasks like Named Entity Recognition, Information Extraction, Named Entity Linking.
- Excellent ability to communicate technical information to non-technical audiences
- Only accepting US Based applicants at this time
Nice to have:
- Experience with medical ontologies (SNOMED CT, LOINC, RxNorm, etc)
- Experience working with clinical data
- Experience in Kubernetes / cloud-based micro-services
- Experience working with document images (OCR)
- Familiarity with Java
By joining Invitae, you’ll work alongside some of the world’s specialists in genetics and healthcare at the forefront of genetic medicine. We’ve built a culture that empowers our teammates to have the biggest impact and to explore their interests and capabilities. We prize freedom with accountability and offer significant flexibility, along with excellent benefits and competitive pay in a fast-growing organization.
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
# LI - Remote