Invitae is a healthcare technology company that leverages genetic information to empower doctors and patients to make informed medical decisions. Our software engineers work on a variety of projects ranging from innovations in healthcare systems to taming the chaos of biology. We’re constantly improving our tools and technologies to deliver the highest quality actionable information for the patient.
Our Data Infrastructure Team manages the underlying infrastructure upon which we build our data ingestion pipelines and data platform architecture to support business, data science, and engineering stakeholders across Invitae. This is a hands-on role.
What you will do:
- Support a rapidly growing team of engineers by automating operational tasks, allowing more creating and less debugging
- Work within our AWS-based streaming data platform to ensure uptime, reliability, efficiency, and ease of use through automation, industry-standard best practices, and new and bleeding edge solutions, keeping security top of mind
- Take ownership of our architecture, manage our infrastructure with Terraform, and strive every day to make it better (more reliable, scalable, etc.)
- Manage and continuously improve our build and data pipeline system, including Kubernetes, Kafka, Spark, Snowflake, and CI/CD Pipelines
- Improve our data platform's observability utilizing custom metrics and/or integrations (e.g. Prometheus, Grafana)
- Understand and contribute to our complex data ecosystem, promote solutions to other teams, and communicate any impactful changes to stakeholders
We look for engineers who:
- Are self-starters and can work towards a larger goal with minimal guidance
- Have strong written and verbal communication skills
- Have an extensive understanding of AWS applications and principles
- Have architected distributed systems with infrastructure automation, monitoring, logging, and alerting
- Have a proven track record of improving systems in secure, reliable, and reproducible ways
- Have mastery of at least one coding language (e.g. Python, Scala, Golang)
- Are curious about how things work at a fundamental level and strive to automate themselves out of a job
- Are lifelong learners, always pushing themselves, their teammates, and their systems to be the best they can be.
Nice to Haves:
- Proven experience deploying and managing complex Kubernetes clusters
- Experience with other CNCF projects like Flux, Helm, Prometheus, etc.
- Strong SQL experience
- Experience with Linux systems (e.g. Ubuntu, Amazon Linux) and Bash
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines (e.g. Jenkins, GitHub Actions)
- BONUS: Prior experience utilizing data warehousing or building out data warehouses
- BONUS: Hands-on experience working with large datasets, pipelines, and their supporting infrastructure
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.