We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 75 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
About the Visual Content team
From branding to social media, posters to stickers, to videos and beyond, the Visual Content Team empowers our users to create stunningly beautiful content—by beginning their journey with a perfect and easily customizable template design. Canva’s templates team is building the world’s best design marketplace, with a library of designs that offer our users a wide variety of on-trend and usable content. We need the help of talented designers that can create and curate amazing visuals, to pave the way for the future of our design library.
About Canva Studio
The Canva Studio is part of our Visual Content team, creating templates for our many global partners that use Canva on their platforms. Working with clients is Canva Studio’s specialty, and this team forms an exciting bridge between our many partners and their success on Canva. We work directly with global clients to integrate, educate and enable them to use Canva in the best possible way. Our team of creative professionals provide strategic guidance, facilitate engaging educational opportunities, launch compelling campaigns, and even create assets to enable a client's internal teams to use Canva with ease. Canva Creative Studio contributes directly to Canva’s business success by helping acquire, retain and grow partners on the platform.
About the role
Your goal as Art Director will be to support the successful transition of clients onto Canva. Working directly with clients to provide strategy, education and high quality design work. As part of our vibrant and friendly creative studio, you'll have the opportunity to work on exceptional template solutions for some of the world's leading companies. You will work with sales and success teams to evaluate client needs, both for design and education, and then use your extensive design chops to deliver those needs. As an Art Director on the team, you will regularly join sales teams in client meetings to explain how our design team can help clients. You will be integral to the success of a client’s journey transitioning onto Canva and be responsible for providing top quality designs, campaigns and interactions to our clients.
We are looking for a seasoned art director who lives and breathes design; whether it be briefing a design team or getting in the tools to design, the output is topnotch . You are an out-of-the-box thinker who always has the needs of the client top of mind. Ideally you will come from a creative agency background having worked with a wide range of clients. You are not only creative at your core, but you stay organized and always deliver on-time and on-brief. You will have led and executed the delivery of many print & digital campaigns or projects.
- Communicating directly with exciting global clients and partners
- Providing strategic consultation on how a client can be most successfully integrated onto Canva
- Creating custom designs and campaigns for our clients
- Briefing and supporting senior and junior designers
- Providing feedback on designs to maintain top quality
- Partnering with copywriters, animators, production designers and other creatives to make sure template content suits the design
- Encourage design research, brainstorming, and design reference sessions with the team
Experience you'll have
- 5+ years experience as a Senior Designer or Art Director creating a diverse range of commercial designs
- Experience working directly with clients, able to take briefs and recognise clients needs
- Experience leading designers on individual projects, and providing professional support and development for junior and senior designers
- A love for design and creativity with a great eye for layout and the ability to work within brand guidelines
- The ability to write simple and clear briefs, with experience in seeing those briefs through with your team from start to finish
- A strong portfolio demonstrating your passion for designing clean, elegant, and beautiful designs
- The confidence to try new things, and a passion for big ideas and storytelling
- The ability to work with other Canva teams where needed to create quality and exciting templates
- The ability to work collaboratively in a creative team environment;
- Diligence to hit deadlines, and offer suggestions to streamline and improve team processes.
- Must have: Proficiency in visual design software including Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop), Google Slides, Powerpoint
- Must have: Proficiency in the building and executing of brand kits, including core elements around logo usage, color, typography, and brand assets
- Encouraged: Competency in Canva
- Nice to have: Understanding of Figma, Motion Design
Canva is currently one of Australia’s hottest technology startups and has been ranked Australia’s #1 place to work.
We mean it when we say we want to create a workplace that you love coming to. Our culture is unlike anywhere else and our offices are designed with workspaces for every mood, to help you do great work. At Canva you can be part of a company that is growing rapidly, building a product that users really love.
Being a Force for good.
One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn't just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.