Are you a senior design leader with a firm grasp of visual design languages and crafting complex, large-scale, multi-platform design systems? Can you positively influence work as a multiplier with your team and drive high-impact team outcomes? If so, we have an excellent opportunity for you!
As the Head of Design for User Interface Platform (UIP), you will partner with cross-functional leaders to evolve and execute a vision for a connected platform that will enable Atlassian's multi-product future. As part of the leadership team, you will strategically and operationally deliver on our customer needs and business goals for coherent, productive, and collaborative experiences for Atlassian. UI Platform is the collaborative fabric of code, design, tools, resources, and guidelines which empower our R&D teams to move quickly. This allows our customers to unleash the power of teamwork through familiar experiences across every product touchpoint.
The ideal candidate will take a systems mindset to create a common, shared code and design framework that combines high product usability with cost-effectiveness in the overall product development process. This is an excellent opportunity to have a meaningful impact on setting the foundations to scale the design and development community for Atlassian. As a leader, you will also be a key to building our design team culture, diverse craft skills, and upholding quality.
As a Head of Design for our UI Platform team, you will:
- Be an innovator with a pulse on industry design systems strategy and trends. You will help your team anticipate and adjust to new challenges and ensure constant innovation within your org.
- Partner with cross-functional leaders to help set direction, including developing a long-term platform strategy, aspirational vision, and defining the team's goals, quarterly OKRs, and roadmap.
- Orchestrate and drive company-wide design definition, specification, collaboration, and roadmap with cross-partners to agree on fixed design assets, pattern libraries, and components.
- Influence how the Atlassian Design System needs to grow, evolve and scale to match the increasing demands from designers and developers.
- Great communication and storytelling skills that will energize people around delighting customers through great user experiences and ensure successful implementation through influence and hands-on leadership.
- Provide design direction with customer-backed and defensible principles and frameworks.
- Foster the user interface standards across Atlassian through adoption and customer satisfaction, ensuring design quality end to end for both internal and external Atlassian customers.
- Utilize research methods to assess the efficacy of the system as well as customer questions and needs.
- Collaborate across Atlassian R&D to deliver world-class design and one branded look and feel to ensure a consistent experience for our customers at every touchpoint.
- Lead and inspire a high-performing team of designers across the US and Australia. With a passion for developing others, you'll coach and inspire your team towards success and cohesion.
To be successful in this role, we'd expect you to have:
- 15+ years of professional design experience.
- Customer-first mindset, leading with empathy.
- Significant experience (10+ years) leading and managing a senior-level team.
- A strong passion for building scalable solutions and services, working with (and simplifying) sophisticated design systems that span multiple products.
- Proven experience in rolling out large-scale design system initiatives.
- Proven record of shipping simple, beautiful software.
More about our benefits
Whether you work in an office or a distributed team, Atlassian is highly collaborative and yes, fun! To support you at work (and play) we offer some fantastic perks: ample time off to relax and recharge, flexible working options, five paid volunteer days a year for your favourite cause, an annual allowance to support your learning & growth, unique ShipIt days, a company paid trip after five years and lots more.
More about Atlassian
Creating software that empowers everyone from small startups to the who's who of tech is why we're here. We build tools like Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket, and Trello to help teams across the world become more nimble, creative, and aligned-collaboration is the heart of every product we dream of at Atlassian. From Amsterdam and Austin, to Sydney and San Francisco, we're looking for people who want to write the future and who believe that we can accomplish so much more together than apart. At Atlassian, we're committed to an environment where everyone has the autonomy and freedom to thrive, as well as the support of like-minded colleagues who are motivated by a common goal to: Unleash the potential of every team .
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians is the driver of our success. To make sure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience we never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
If your experience looks a little different from what we've identified and you think you can rock the role, we'd love to learn more about you.
Learn more about Atlassian's culture, interviewing flow, and hiring process by checking out our Candidate Resource Hub .
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.