BigCommerce’s mission is to help merchants sell more at every stage of growth, from small startups, to mid-market businesses to large enterprises. We focus on being the best ecommerce platform so our customers can focus on what matters most: growing their businesses.
We are equally passionate about growing our employee’s careers and providing them an incredible experience as we rapidly expand across the globe. We are proud to have been recognized numerous times for our product and workplace culture. We empower our people and customers to build, innovate and grow, so together we can redefine the ecommerce industry.
BigCommerce is a US-based product company headquartered in Austin, Texas, and has offices in San Francisco, Kyiv, London, Singapore, Guadalajara and Sydney.
BigCommerce is the world's leading cloud ecommerce platform for established and rapidly-growing businesses. Combining enterprise functionality, an open architecture, app ecosystem, and market-leading performance, BigCommerce enables businesses to grow online sales with 80% less cost, time and complexity than on-premise software and powers B2B and B2C ecommerce for more than 60,000 brands, 2,000+ mid-market businesses, 30 Fortune 1000 companies, and industry-leading brands, including Assurant, Ben & Jerry's, Paul Mitchell, Skullcandy, Sony and Toyota.
Our mission is to power unrivaled ecommerce success at every phase of our customers’ growth. We equip growing businesses with the world’s most effective platform for creating alluring stores, attracting customers wherever they shop, and generating sales. Online businesses using BigCommerce can outsell and outperform those on other platforms.
BigCommerce is looking for a Product Design Manager to lead a group of designers based out of the Austin office, working across many functions to ensure the BigCommerce ecosystem is more robust and easy to use.
By providing guidance across teams and initiatives, you will ensure that experiences are consistent and adhere to standard methodologies and realistic enough to get out the door. You will be responsible for platform and product initiatives to improve the partner ecosystem and developer experience, including driving the maturity and adoption of our design system library, with the ultimate goal of enabling merchants to better access third party solutions that help them grow their businesses.
What you’ll do:
- Solve business objectives, shape design team culture and help mature the design practice
- Partner with cross functional team members to identify strategy, set vision and improve the end to end partner, developer and app / themes marketplace experiences; develop the necessary artifacts to support execution of this work.
- Collaborate with product designers to shape and evolve BigDesign, our design system library, to ensure solutions are consistent and familiar
- Be an active mentor and advocate for design team members, drive effective collaboration, strong performance and support career growth
- Empower BC teams to build useful and usable features by providing leadership during the early phases of project definition, including discovery and ideation phases
- Identify existing and desired skills across offices and advocate for staffing based on team capabilities and needs, then recruit and hire to fill those needs
- Incorporate user-based research practices throughout the design / development process to ensure our product meets market, user, and design quality-markers.
- Build a design culture of learning, sharing, innovation, and fun!
- Collaborative. You understand that solving problems for our users is a team sport.
- A systems thinker. You understand how to define guidelines with structure and flexibility to make the product desirable and usable. Taking the complex and making it simple is a challenge that brings you joy.
- Hard-working. You have superior organizational skills, integrity and great follow through on tasks. You don't get overwhelmed easily and know when to push back or drive ahead.
- Naturally curious. You're innovative, very creative and constantly looking for ways to tweak and optimize processes.
- Pragmatic. You appreciate the latest design trends but can easily filter out what is and isn’t useful to your audience. You can look at a design solution and figure out is integral to the experience and what are ‘bells and whistles’.
- User-centered. You care deeply about your users and take extra steps to ensure your designs are addressing their problems, down to the last pixel.
- A leader. You’re comfortable working in a fast paced environment, and understand the design / development process well enough to know when to employ it, push back or skip steps.
- Fun! You're flexible, courageous, and excited to help build something incredible.
- A utility player. You're willing to help out wherever needed.
Skills & Abilities:
- 7+ years of relevant design and UX experience, with a solid understanding of design methods, tools, and processes, with 2+ years experience leading product designers
- Proven fluency in product design, information architecture, user experience design, agile development and usability research
- Demonstrated execution of end-to-end design process from discovery to delivery, with a portfolio of work showcasing visual design, interaction design and critical thinking
- Exposure to working on developer facing products or enterprise platforms / applications
- Experience creating thoughtful, scalable design systems
- Highly collaborative, objective and leveled facilitation skills, guide decision making, effectively align teams
- Strong information design experience with a validated foundation in UX design heuristics
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in an appropriate field, such as Design or HCI or equivalent experience
- Ability to work with remote teams, with willingness for travel as needed.
What's in it for you
- Design solutions that will be used by thousands of partners and will benefit hundreds of thousands of users
- Collaborate with local and international teams
- Work with a talented team of top-tier professionals
- Be a part of a fast-growing company
- Flexible working hours
- Competitive salary and benefits
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the interview process, to perform essential job functions and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you need an accommodation in order to interview at BigCommerce, please let us know during any of your interactions with our recruiting team.
Learn more about the BigCommerce team, culture and benefits at https://careers.bigcommerce.com.