Director of Engineering at SamCart
Director of Engineering
About SamCart Engineering
At SamCart, we are not coders - we are craftsmen. We are professionals who take pride in, and hold ourselves accountable for, the applications that we build. We practice discipline in our approach, demanding of ourselves highly performant, thoroughly tested, and exquisitely designed code. We value honest communication, close collaboration, and lifelong continuous learning. We are deeply empathetic to the impact our software has on the lives of our customers; and we readily accept that great responsibility with humility, determination, and skill.
SamCart is looking for an inspirational, strategic, and experienced Director of Engineering to lead our growing engineering team. In this critical role, you will recruit, coach and mentor 15+ engineers and engineering managers responsible for building the SamCart platform.
You will excel in this role if you:
- Are an expert software craftsman with a deep technological background, passionate about creating market-leading software through rigorous application of engineering discipline to state-of-the-art technology frameworks and systems.
- Strive for greatness in yourself and bring the same out of those around you.
- Are a lifelong learner, well versed in the literature of software development and craftsmanship; lead with empathy building strong relationships with your direct reports and developing the next generation of technology leaders.
- Take moonshots, encouraging your teams to go farther than they ever believed possible.
- Lead multiple teams to design, develop, write, and ship performant, secure, and highly intuitive software and systems.
- Foster an environment of continuous learning that yields excellent engineering skillsets.
- Help engineers and managers develop their careers through personalized coaching and performance management.
- Drive employee engagement, empowering your teams to not only champion their own efforts but encourage others to be truly vested team players.
- Lead engineering culture by example, evangelizing best practices like test-driven development and refactoring; ensure every feature that is developed meets or exceeds your rigorous quality standards.
- Maintain deep technical and business knowledge of industry directions and trends in the area of application architectures and programming languages.
- Expert in full-stack software development leveraging front end frameworks (React, Vue, etc.) and back-end frameworks (Laravel, Ruby on Rails, etc.) in object-oriented languages.Professional approach to software craftsmanship with an unflinching commitment to the disciplines of test-driven development, refactoring, simple design, collaborative programming, and acceptance tests.
- Solid background in cloud-first environments and building cloud-native platforms in AWS.
- Demonstrated skill in building reliable software systems at Internet scale incorporating fundamental design principles (design patterns, SOLID, etc.) in modern architectures (serverless, microservices, etc.)
- Highly proficient in managing experienced engineers, along with a demonstrated track record of growing and building highly effective distributed teams.
- At least 10 years of professional experience building web applications and managing engineering teams, engineering managers, and individual contributors.
This is what you'll love about SamCart
Our co-founders always say "Their success is our success" and we believe that about our people too! We want everyone to love their job at least 80% of the time and when you are successful, the whole team is successful.
- Diversity adds value to everything we do - We hire from and for a wide range of backgrounds and experiences to allow the team to bring their own unique ways of thinking and working to each project
- We have unlimited PTO with an encouraged 14-day minimum to empower our team members to maintain a healthy balance in their day-to-day lives.
- Yay, we have 401K!
- Health Insurance premiums are covered 100% by SamCart for you +1, be it a significant other or child.
- Supportive Parental leave policies for all parents
- Career growth and development are essential here at SamCart and we want all team members to build sustainable, future-proof and adaptable careers.
- Self-Care is important, which is why we offer a monthly wellness credit.
Our Core Values
Be Transparent - We communicate openly, thrive on feedback, and check our egos at the door.
Be Human - We operate with compassion and always assume positive intent.
Be an Owner - We are all owners of the business. We take pride in our work and know that the success of our customers and the business contributes to our individual success.
Be Creative and Commit - We collaborate, create resourceful solutions, and work as a team to get it done.
Be You - We are stronger together because of the unique qualities we each bring to the team. We believe in balance, making time for fun, and enjoying the work we do!