About The Team
The Elastic Stack is both the platform on which our Security, Observability, and Enterprise Search solutions are built, and the platform used by customers to solve other large search problems that are not covered by our solutions. We are seeking a technical leader for the team that builds the Elastic Stack. The Elastic Stack includes Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash, our core ML technology and the team responsible for our CI systems and other infrastructure.
Elasticsearch, our core product, is an open source, clustered search engine based on a highly scalable data store. A wide range of industry and government clients use it to solve real-time data analysis problems of all kinds.
Kibana is the data query and visualization UI that we provide to help users communicate and share their analysis with their colleagues and customers. But it’s more than that; Kibana is the platform on which we’re building integrated user experiences for our solutions, including Machine Learning, Application Performance Monitoring, and more. Eventually, we want Kibana to become an ecosystem where partners and third parties can build their own applications on the Elastic stack.
About The Role
We are looking for a technology and engineering leader to help us realize our goals. We are looking for someone who has experience of delivering world-class distributed applications with both front- and back-end layers, preferably with experience of shipping products for use on premise, in the Cloud, and as a SaaS. We need a person who has made critical decisions in the evolution of a big product and platform over multiple years and releases and who can lead a large team with a coherent vision while making appropriate compromises along the way.
Some of the things you'll work on
- Leading the efforts to evolve the architecture of the Elastic Stack and the roadmap to implement it.
- Understanding and describing the whole arc of the user experience for each of the Stack use cases, and developing features that fit into that arc.
- Collaborating with the Cloud and Solutions leads to align priorities and roadmaps, and make appropriate technology choices and compromises
- Leading technical discussions and requirements analysis with partners and customers to drive alignment with customer needs
- Reviewing and approving implementation designs for the Stack
- Communicating and evangelizing the Stack roadmap internally and with the community
- Advising Elastic’s leadership team on emerging and important technologies and industry trends
- Representing company at conferences and networking events
- Interviewing and hiring tech leads for the team
- Mentoring tech leads
What you bring along
- You have extensive experience in a technical leadership role with a distributed datastore, and/or data analysis product
- You have worked as an architect or technical lead experience on large projects involving more than 100 engineers and spanning over multiple years and releases
- You work with a high level of autonomy
- Experience using or managing the Elastic Stack
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, a great teammate with strong analytical, problem solving, debugging and troubleshooting skills. Written skills are key to success in working with our distributed teams.
Nice to have
- Record of successfully inheriting existing medium-to-large scale projects
- Have worked on software that is distributed as installable artifacts (not a SaaS), and experience managing a SaaS product
- Experience running or significantly contributing to an open source project.