We're seeking a Head of Engineering to help us build a simpler, more customer-centric home buying and selling experience in partnership with real estate agents.
We give homeowners the freedom to buy the home they want before selling their current one. Customers tell us about their home and financial situation, then we provide them with funds to confidently secure their next home with a competitive all-cash offer. This saves them stress from having to list their house without knowing where they're going next, and makes the process of buying and selling a home as predictable and easy as it should be.
Homeward was started in 2018 by Tim Heyl, a 10-year industry veteran and owner of one of the fastest growing agent teams in the U.S. We're passionate about our mission to empower customers and their agent partners to buy before they sell while making the entire experience more convenient and certain. We've attracted a strong customer base in Texas, Colorado, and Georgia, and are growing our team to help us deliver our unique solution, and continue evolving our business.
Homeward is backed by top-tier venture investors like Adams Street, Javelin, and LiveOak. We’ve raised over $25 million in equity and secured over $100 million in debt to buy homes for our customers. Our leadership team includes experts from the real estate, mortgage, and technology spaces.Values
“Treat others how you want to be treated.” We’re building our company culture and customer experience with this as the guiding principle. It’s a simple rule, but emphasizes that we don’t prioritize money or growth over people.
We don’t chase every opportunity and rush from urgent task to urgent task. We relax, stay calm, and focus on our company-wide objectives. If something is out of scope, we say “no”. If something feels rushed we slow down and think it through so we can avoid unnecessary rework later. We don’t bombard each other with notifications expecting instant response times. We block off time for deep work so we can get into the flow and create solutions our customers love. Multi-tasking isn’t effective or enjoyable.
Cross Functional Collaboration
We look at our customers’ experience wholistically and recognize that improving it requires support from multiple functions. Given this, we’re excellent collaborators. No function is more important than another and we’re eager to work as a team to solve our customers’ toughest problems. We value strong internal alignment, and take pride in understanding and considering our teammates' perspectives before expressing our own.
In this role, you will:
- Be a senior leader on our team, working closely with the entire leadership team to identify, prioritize, and build the right platform to accomplish our business goals
- Lead Homeward’s current engineering team while continuing to build a trusted, high impact engineering culture, designing effective processes from interviewing to production release
- Be a hands-on builder, balancing your time between coding, removing roadblocks, managing a team, and developing our technical strategy
- Partner closely with Product Management and Design to create and execute on our product roadmap
- Own our technical platform roadmap and make decisions that enable speed of near-term solutions and position us for long-term scale and flexibility
- Release early and often. We’re a Series A stage startup and often need to make decisions with limited information and make big swings with a build, test, learn mindset
- Collaborate with teams across the organization to identify the right data platform capabilities to support analysis and reporting for many internal needs from myriad data sources using best practices in developing data pipeline and data products
- Drive and support continuous improvement in our product development practices, partnering with Product and other functions to ensure predictable and reliable software delivery
- Identify, track, and improve metrics identifying the health of our engineering processes and technical platform
- Prioritize outcomes over outputs for software development, concentrating effort on solving business problems with measurable KPIs
- Cascade values throughout the org, fostering a culture of candor, open communication, and cross-functional collaboration.
- Partner closely with our VP, Product and other leadership team members to continually evaluate areas of product & platform investment and adjust team organization according to changing needs
What you’ll bring:
- You have 7+ years of individual coding experience across early stage, high-performance startups and larger at-scale organizations. During this time, you’ve seen multiple product cycles and architected a variety of systems.
- You’ve recruited and managed a high-performance engineering team with at least 3 years of experience recruiting and managing other engineers.
- You can transcend your function and be a senior leader at our company. You have experience weighing in on company-wide strategy and direction, and can tackle one-off tasks like defining policies or preparing for a board meeting.
- You’re a helpful mentor, can give constructive feedback, and can have difficult conversations when necessary. You genuinely care about people and helping them grow beyond their current capabilities.
- You’ve have significant experience with effective collaboration with product management and design to create streamlined processes and exceptional products.
- You’re a coder and builder at heart. You have a deep knowledge of systems design and implementation and get excited by technical challenges and creating new products. You can balance time spent planning vs. implementing, and you ship small work units and iterate based on customer feedback.
- You are familiar with a variety of languages and frameworks, and use that knowledge to help advise teams in picking the best tool to solve the problem at hand.
- You’re not in love with custom development for its own sake: you can expertly navigate the build, buy, partner strategic considerations for our platform development, selecting tools that maximize best-in-class solutions while maintaining a scalable and flexible platform to enable us to move quickly. Most importantly, you can build an engineering culture that embodies this mindset, to be trusted strategic thinkings in technology selection
- You have experience with the latest engineering practices and deployment systems and you take action when there are unnecessary bottlenecks.
- You’re low ego and very collaborative. You add energy to the broader team and are fun to work with.
Our Tech Stack
- Our current tech stack uses React and Redux on the front end, Django and Flask in the API layer with a Postgres persistence layer, RabbitMQ and Celery for task queueing and providing a durable inter-service communication channel, and Apache NiFi as an ETL platform.
- Our internal team operates on Salesforce for the majority of our customer service operations as well as HubSpot for our marketing platform.