The Hustle is a fast-growing digital media company that provides smart business insights and analysis to an entrepreneurial-minded audience. We have over 1.5 million subscribers to our newsletter, The Daily, and over 10,000 members in our entrepreneurial and start-up community, Trends.
We're changing how media companies build brand loyalty. We’re growing at a crazy fast pace. And as one of our early hires, you will help us chart the course.
As technical lead, you’re a software engineer that also helps lead, mentor, and coach a small group of talented developers. You should be setting the tech vision and helping to chart our course, navigating issues, obstacles, and exploring how to do things faster and better.
You will empower the existing engineering team to achieve a high level of technical productivity, reliability, simplicity and scale. We expect that, alongside our business leads, you’ll chart the engineering roadmap and will own the landscape for the systems that power The Daily, our flagship email, Trends, our first paid subscription product, and our engagement and membership data.
Technologies We Work With:
- Ruby on Rails
- Email Deliverability (Sailthru)
The Primary Responsibilities:
- Maintain a productive environment for engineering team to complete tasks and problem-solve
- Work cross functionally with other teams to plan and prioritize initiatives
- Work side-by-side with the engineering team on necessary tasks. This is a player-coach role.
- Maintain our internal tools that allow us to perform our daily tasks such as:
- Build and deliver the daily email
- Collect, analyze, and report on critical business analytics
- Bill our customers and ensure seamless membership renewal cycle
Characteristics of Ideal Candidate:
- 5+ years of web development experience in a fast paced environment
- Proven experience working on email deliverability and on subscription products
- Proven experience working cross-functionally to achieve growth in a fast-paced environment
- Past experience managing outsourced technical functions and across a distributed workforce
- Ability to focus on the highest of priorities for the whole company, not just one team
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Experience with data / analytics, Google Analytics, SQL, Periscope, a plus
- Understanding of email marketing, online marketing, A/B testing is a plus
Salary and Benefits:
- Competitive pay
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 401(k) plan
- Flexible Spending Account
- Commuter benefits
- Monthly book stipend
- Weekly team lunches
- Team happy hours and outings
- A chance to help create and shape a thriving culture and really put your vision to work
What we need from you
If you’re the type of person that wants to leave their mark at The Hustle, please submit your resume and a cover letter. The cover letter should outline your experience doing the tasks listed above, and most importantly, tell us why you want to work here, with us!
We encourage applications from candidates who have succeeded in a startup environment and we welcome candidates from non-traditional backgrounds. We're also open to candidates with different levels of experience. For us, having a person with the right mindset and temperament is most important.
We are committed to diversity and strongly encourage people from underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people, and individuals with disabilities.
Read Full Job Description