Manager, Engineering (Billing API)
BigCommerce, named a "Best Place to Work" in Austin 2018 is looking for a Manager, Engineering (Billing API) who wants to join a truly diverse, fast-paced team in the exciting and rapidly growing e-commerce industry.
What you’ll Do
Be an leader on our billing API team that powers our platform for partners. You’ll be working with team members and a product owner creating solutions that expose related billing functionality to partners via APIs enabling them to incorporate BigCommerce services directly into their workflows. BigCommerce offers a heavily collaborative environment helping you expand your skill set and take ideas from inception to delivery.
This role is for a person who thrives at leading a high performing software engineering team and is passionate about empowering engineers to achieve the best work of their careers. Well respected by technical and non-technical individuals, you will be an influential leader, coach, manager and engineer. You will need to balance driving an aggressive product roadmap and improving system performance and stability by introducing best practices and mentoring other engineers.
- Be both a hands-on developer and an effective people manager
- Build integrations with 3rd party SOAP/REST APIs that can span multiple codesets/services, fail gracefully, and be highly extensible
- Coach team towards code that is performant, fault-tolerant, maintainable, testable, and concise
- Drive our technical roadmap and direction of our stack
- Encourage innovation and foster an environment of continuous improvement
- Collaborate with stakeholders and other teams to promote communication & coordination
- Support and coach 4-6 members of your team
- Foster a culture that is open, positive, energized and innovative
- Meet regularly, one on one, with members on your team coaching and helping develop their careers at BigCommerce
Who You Are
- More than 6 years of professional experience as a software engineer
- At least 2 years of professional experience with Ruby / Ruby on Rails
- At least 2 years of experience in a lead role on an engineering team
- Adept with backend service and API development and design
- Desire to work in a collaborative, open environment on an Agile team
- Highly proactive and results-oriented with excellent critical thinking skills
- Excited to learn new technologies
- Experience with relational databases and external services integrations (SOAP & REST APIs)
- Experience with eCommerce, distributed queuing systems, SaaS platforms, highly desirable
- BS/MS in computer science or equivalent experience
BigCommerce is a robust, flexible commerce platform that provides established and emerging brands with everything they need to launch, promote, manage and scale a successful online store.BigCommerce merchants earn more than retailers on competitive commerce solutions thanks to advanced features, better site performance and streamlined business processes. Founded in 2009, the company has received more than $100 million in funding from SoftBank Capital, American Express, Telstra Ventures, General Catalyst, Revolution Growth and FLOODGATE. BigCommerce supports thousands of retailers around the world from its offices in San Francisco, Austin and Sydney.
We’re a team of smart, passionate and talented people on a mission to democratize commerce. If you’re looking to work with industry leaders and love what you do, we want to hear from you!
Perks & Benefits
- An amazing company culture that doesn’t just talk values, but lives them
- Open vacation policy for salaried team members and generous accrual vacation policy for hourly team members, + paid sick time
- Competitive compensation packages and meaningful stock grants for every employee
- Comprehensive health insurance coverage that starts on day one
- Fully stocked kitchens and craft beers (don’t worry, we also subsidize gym memberships)
- Four especially cool offices in Austin, San Francisco and Sydney
- A free online store to help you live out your entrepreneurial dreams
- Employee-driven teambuilding activities like paintball, rock climbing, social sports leagues, hackathons, movie nights, river floats, etc.
- Time off for volunteering and employee-driven charity events