Confluence Cloud enables teams to build, organize, and collaborate on work in one place from virtually anywhere. It is a team workspace where knowledge and collaboration meet. We are on a journey to scale our cloud infrastructure to migrate and host all existing and new confluence customers' data reliably and securely with high performance user experience. For that, we are looking for an experienced Software Engineering Architect with a proven track record to join our Confluence Cloud Backbone team.
As an Engineer well into your career, we know you're an expert at what you do and have a breadth of experience across front and backend technologies. You have experience in architecting and building large scale distributed systems. You have a comprehensive understanding of scale, performance, cost, maintainability, and extensibility of production systems used by millions of users daily. You take pride in mentoring junior members and sharing your expertise with others... That's why we're placing a heavy emphasis on leaning on your expertise to take on a high level of responsibility while being a role model and mentor to others on the team.
In this role, you'll get to:
- Define architecture and roadmap to continuously support hyper customer growth at Confluence
- Regularly tackle the largest and most complex problems on the team, from technical design to launch
- Determine plans-of-attack on large projects
- Routinely tackle complex architecture challenges and apply architectural standards and start using them on new projects
- Be a champion across the org for continually raising the technical bar and evangelizing a high technical standard
- Lead code reviews & documentation as well as take on complex bug fixes, especially on high-risk problems
- Set the standard for thorough, meaningful code reviews
- Partner across engineering teams to take on company-wide initiatives spanning multiple projects
- Transfer your depth of knowledge and share best engineering practices to improve engineering excellence
- Mentor more junior members
On your first day, we'll expect you to have:
- Bachelors, Masters, or PhD in Computer science in a related technical field or similar experience
- Expert-level proficiency in one or more prominent languages such as Java, Python, C#, or C/C++
- An expertise in building and architecting large scalable distributed systems
- Excellent communication skills in written and verbal forms, and an ability to communicate complex technical issues to a range of technical and non-technical audiences (management, peers, clients)
- Passion to solve complex problems and keep users in mind
- Passion for collaborating with and mentoring junior members of the team
- Passion for learning and always improving yourself and the team around you
It's great, but not required, if you have:
- Peer-reviewed scientific paper or delivered talk at a relevant conference
- Development experience with AWS services
- Practical knowledge of agile software development methodologies (e.g., Scrum)
More about our team
We are always growing, learning, and adapting. You'll be joining a team that is highly engaged and direct. We help each other to constantly improve our work and reach our potential. We're dedicated to being agile, which means we're constantly learning about our users' experience and iterating as much as necessary to improve it. We also know all too well the importance of validating assumptions about users and use various types of testing to ensure we're right (or discover where we're wrong). It's all about improving our user's experience no matter who or where it is.
More about our benefits
Whether you work in an office or a distributed team, Atlassian is highly collaborative and yes, fun! To support you at work (and play) we offer some fantastic perks: ample time off to relax and recharge, flexible working options, five paid volunteer days a year for your favourite cause, an annual allowance to support your learning & growth, unique ShipIt days, a company paid trip after five years and lots more.
More about Atlassian
Creating software that empowers everyone from small startups to the who's who of tech is why we're here. We build tools like Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket, and Trello to help teams across the world become more nimble, creative, and aligned-collaboration is the heart of every product we dream of at Atlassian. From Amsterdam and Austin, to Sydney and San Francisco, we're looking for people who want to write the future and who believe that we can accomplish so much more together than apart. At Atlassian, we're committed to an environment where everyone has the autonomy and freedom to thrive, as well as the support of like-minded colleagues who are motivated by a common goal to: Unleash the potential of every team .
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians is the driver of our success. To make sure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience we never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
If your experience looks a little different from what we've identified and you think you can rock the role, we'd love to learn more about you.
Learn more about Atlassian's culture, interviewing flow, and hiring process by checking out our Candidate Resource Hub .