Principal Python Software Engineer
Principal Software Engineer
Who is Duo Security?
We are the leading provider of Trusted Access security and multi-factor authentication delivered through the cloud and recently became apart of Cisco.
Duo’s mission is to make security simple for everyone. We were born from a hacker ethos and a desire to make the Internet a secure place. We believe in empowering people to follow their passions inside and outside of the office and enable every employee to bring their whole self to work.
Our team is our secret weapon. We run the spectrum from artists to analysts, low-key to high energy, and bring together a diversity of skill sets, experiences, and perspectives to solve what we consider to be the world's most pressing geopolitical challenge — transforming the security industry as we know it. Together we build solutions that are easy, effective, trustworthy, and enduring. And that’s why we are the most loved and trusted company in security.
As a Principal Software Engineer on our Data Engineering team, you will be working on Duo’s (now a Cisco company) mission-critical data pipelines, data science pipelines, and the research & development of new data products.
Duo is in the growth phase and expects to dramatically scale its MFA, Zero Trust Networking, Cloud SSO, Endpoint Device Health Monitoring and upcoming R&D projects to the vast array of Cisco customers and resellers.
These scaling efforts are accomplished by building out modern data pipelines (Python, Kafka, Elasticsearch, S3), integrating with our Data Science team’s machine learning algorithms (EMR, Spark, Scala), and surfacing the data via API and UI (Python, React, D3).
In addition to pipeline infrastructure projects, you’ll also work on R&D greenfield software products. The team is actively developing Duo’s Threat Detection product which leverages the outputs of our Data Science machine learning pipeline to proactively detect anomalous behavior within our customers’ environments. Our customers will be able to take action on these events and provide feedback to improve our models.
Principal Software Engineer here at Duo will need to provide the technical mentoring and leadership alongside the team’s engineering manager. While the engineering manager focuses on the people and project management side of the team, you’ll focus on improving the technical aspects by shipping great code, collaborating with architects, improving development processes, providing feedback in code reviews, and systematic mentoring.
Your development team will work with product managers and UI/UX designers in an agile environment to deliver value to our customers.
Skills you have...
- You have developed server-side web applications, REST APIs, and/or microservices
- You’ve done your share of HTML/CSS/JS, SQL, Redis
- You know and love programming in Python, or languages like Go or Ruby or Node.js
- You are committed to quality and have an eye for details
- You know how to execute performance testing, make decisions using data and clearly communicate delivered results
- You have battle scars and a pattern of learning from mistakes
Even better if...
- You have experience with some of the following or similar technologies:
- NoSQL - MongoDB / Elasticsearch / Cassandra / ScyllaDB
- Streaming - Spark / Akka
- Distributed message queues - Kafka / Kinesis / Elastic Beanstalk / RabbitM
- You are passionate about software security
- You are familiar with Python 3 and Twisted
- You have run deployments at-scale in AWS or similar IaaS services
A couple of reasons you should apply...
- You’re focused on a technical career path with technical leadership aspirations
- You love collaborating with, teaching, and learning from high-performing peers on software projects
- You work best in teams of high-performers rallying around achieving a common goal
- You love to stretch the limits of technology solving complex problems revolving around data
If you're coming up short in these areas, but think you could still knock it out of the park, convince us why!
Duo is committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of inclusion and connectedness. We are able to grow and learn better together with a diverse team of employees. The collective sum of the individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, innovation, self-expression, and talent that our employees invest in their work represents not only part of our culture, but our reputation and Duo’s achievement as well. In recruiting for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that all potential candidates can bring in terms of their education, opinions, culture, ethnicity, race, gender identity and expression, nationality, age, languages are spoken, veteran’s status, religion, disability, sexual orientation, and beliefs.
And if this role is exciting you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet all 100% of the description or qualifications. Finally and most importantly, we are a proud Equal Opportunity Employer.