Principal UI/Web Platform Engineer at H-E-B
About H-E-B H-E-B is one of the largest, independently owned food retailers in the nation operating over 400 stores throughout Texas and Mexico, with annual sales generating over $25 billion. Described by industry experts as a daring innovator and smart competitor, H-E-B has led the way with creative new concepts, outstanding service and a commitment to diversity in our workforce, workplace and marketplace. H-E-B offers a wealth of career opportunities to our 109,000+ Partners (employees), competitive compensation and benefits program and comprehensive training that lead to successful careers.
H-E-B Digital builds the tech that feeds Texas.
We’re investing heavily in our customers’ digital experience, reinventing how they find inspiration from food, how they make food decisions, and how they ultimately get food into their homes. For more information, visit digital.heb.com. This is an exciting time to join H-E-B Digital, and we’re hiring across the stack: front-end web and mobile, full-stack, and backend engineering. We’re using the best available technologies to deliver modern, engaging, reliable, and scalable experiences to meet the needs of our growing audience. Our digital solutions are growing in popularity and adoption—like Curbside and Home Delivery—so you’ll get the opportunity to define the user experience for millions of customers and hundreds of thousands of Partners. If you’re someone who enjoys taking on new challenges, working in a rapidly changing environment, learning new skills, and applying it all to solve large and impactful business problems, we want you as part of our team.
Principal UI/Web Platform Engineer
What you’ll do at HEB:
· Contribute to overall system design, architecture, security, scalability, reliability, and performance of applications.
· Work closely with engineering, product and design to create the best possible experiences for customers using the HEB website (desktop and mobile)
· Identify, scope, and architect solutions for new features while applying sound technical judgment that considers technology alternatives, impact on affected / adjacent systems and tradeoffs.
· Provide peer review and quality assurance support to other engineers and receive the same feedback on all code output
· Grow and be mentored in engineering techniques, processes, and new technologies
· Learn new technologies, frameworks, and systems and share your knowledge with the web team
· Work with other platforms (iOS, Android, backend engineering) to build out scalable systems that support the HEB infrastructure.
· Identify and communicate cross-team dependencies.
· Communicate individual and project-level development statuses, issues, risks, and concerns to technical leadership and management
· Mentor junior developers and teach best practices on architecture and technology decisions
Do you have what it takes to succeed?
· Desire to build world-class applications using a variety of tools including React, GraphQL (Apollo), AWS, and more.
· Ability to work closely with senior engineering staff, product managers, and design experts to learn about HEB customers and build them quality experiences
· Ability to grow a stellar team of engineers through interviewing
· An interest in refactoring HEB’s existing infrastructure to bring the web and mobile web experience into the digital age
· Ability to research new technologies with your teammates and make choices that will help direct web development for HEB into the future
· A desire to grow your expertise in modern web development
· Bonus experience: Docker, Vue, Java, modern testing practices, test driven development (TDD)
· 10+ years of professional development experience PLUS comparable schooling (CS degree, bootcamp diploma)
Who You Are:
· You have an ownership mentality and a consistent track record of successful, high-quality results.
· You enjoy learning new technologies as they emerge.
· You are learning development methodologies and processes
· You have a solid knowledge of CS fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, and design patterns
· You have experience with common software engineering tools such as Git, JIRA, Confluence, etc.
· You have a team mentality and are unafraid to fail
· You have a bachelor’s degree in computer science or comparable field, or equivalent self-study.
· You are working to develop your engineering talents
· You value team dynamics and work to grow junior engineers
· A robust Benefits plan with coverage starting Day One
· An 80/20 PPO medical plan with a $30 copay for in-network primary care
· Dental plans, Vision plan, voluntary insurance plans, and flexible spending accounts (FSA) available
· The Partner Care Team, for any time you have healthcare or coverage questions
· Partner Guidance allows free counselor visits, up to 5 times per year for each issue
· Telehealth offers 24/7 access to board-certified doctors over the phone
· Funeral leave, Jury Duty, and Military pay (subject to applicable law)
· Short-Term and Long-Term Disability coverage after 90 days
· Maternal / Paternal Leave for new parents, adoptions included
· Eligibility for 401(k) participation after 6 months
· Eligibility for quarterly bonuses based on company performance
· 10% off H-E-B brand products in-store and online after 90 days
· Access to other savings (gyms, phone, hotels, and more) through online discount program after 90 days
· Opportunity to become a “Partner-Owner” after 12 months of employment