Senior Backend Engineer at Self Financial
About the job
Self Financial, Inc. helps consumers establish and build credit history. We are a venture-backed, financial services startup based in Austin, TX. At Self, our mission is to help millions of people build credit and save money on their journey toward financial security.
There are about 100 million people in the US who have low credit scores or who have no access to credit at all. Sadly, there aren’t many options for these people. Most banks aren’t doing anything material to change the situation because it’s not profitable for them to do so. Bad credit or no credit history can be barriers to renting an apartment or getting certain jobs, let alone buying a car or house. And if you can get a loan with a low credit score, you’re very likely to pay a lot more in interest over the life of that loan.
Our team is passionate about challenging the status quo of the credit industry by giving people accessible and affordable tools to take control of their credit. Executing on our mission requires deep collaboration across our teams to ensure our products reach the people who can most benefit from them.
We're looking for people who share a passion for our mission and relate to why we do what we do. At Self, we want to work with people who are driven to tackle challenges, bring unique perspectives, find solutions and help make the financial space a better place for our consumers. We recognize that it takes different people and personalities to make our products – and our company – truly great. We only seek the best.
If you are someone who is equally passionate as we are, we want to chat with you.
About our team:
We're a growing team of passionate engineers working with modern technology to help people build credit and savings. We’ve rebuilt and launched our website and our mobile app in the last year, which now serves thousands of customers. We launched our second product, a secured credit card to give our customers access to their savings.
About the role:
You will be joining a team that is developing a banking core. You will develop the services and infrastructure needed to provide essential customer-facing solutions at a massive scale. You will work with your lead, product owner and your product manager to build tools and systems required for us to service our financial products to our large customer base. You will report to an engineering manager and work with our amazing team of professional engineers.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related technical discipline.
- 4+ years of software engineering experience.
- Solid understanding and application of computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms and design patterns.
- Experience with the development of Python/Flask code in a production environment.
- Experience with SQL and relational databases such as PostgreSQL.
- Experience in the container space such as Docker.
- Experience with AWS and other related cloud architectures/services is a plus.
- Experience with common software engineering tools such as Git (or other VCS), JIRA, confluence and similar platforms.
Benefits and Perks:
We have the compensation and benefits you expect. But, there's one thing that Self Financial can offer that many startups cannot: we can positively change the world, while making a profit. Over 64 million adults in the U.S. do not have a credit score because of a lack of credit history. Self is solving this problem with creative technology solutions and partnerships.
Our perks include:
- Competitive Pay
- Bonus Program
- Stock Options
- Self pays 100% of employee's monthly medical, dental and vision benefit costs and a portion of dependent insurance coverage
- Buy up options available, costs vary across benefit type
- 401(k) Plan available to full-time employees to save for retirement
- Self pays 100% of Life/AD&D/Short-Term and Long-Term Disability insurance premium costs for all full-time employees
- Enjoy our flexible vacation policy
- Company paid education and training programs
- Free at-home workout through Sworkit and Gold's Gym membership
- Plenty of snacks and drinks provided at the office
- Casual dress code
- Team building, happy hours and events (Online now, due to pandemic)
- Downtown Austin office space (Our offices are partially open)
- Remote work arrangements (due to the pandemic)
- Monthly $100 COVID stipend for full time employees through 12/2021