Senior Python Engineer
Who We Are
Bestow is a digital life insurance company built on full stack technology and AI. In a world in need of greater financial resilience and protection, Bestow democratizes access to smart financial products and powers some of the world’s leading consumer platforms. We are reimagining and rebuilding a 400-year-old, $7 trillion industry to create a brighter future for millions of families. And we’re just getting started.
The Bestow team is a diverse band of first principles thinkers on a mission to do good. We’re fortunate to be backed by leading investors and partners including Valar Ventures, NEA, 8VC and MunichRe.
As a Senior Python Engineer you will lead development on new features and technical improvements for our products. You should be able to define technical design and implement work independently. You should have prior experience architecting systems. Bestow software engineers are great teammates. You are willing to collaborate with other software engineers, product managers and designers. You are someone that strives to build a premier engineering organization.
Challenges on Which You Can Expect to Work:
- Building Product Features. We're a startup with a long product roadmap. You'll be working with a team to make that roadmap a reality.
- Develop new product features using Python 3, Go, and PostgreSQL.
- Resolve issues with previously delivered features.
- Ensure software is secure, maintainable and extensible.
- Collaborate with designers, product managers and other engineers.
- Ensuring a Robust Software Platform. Great software is more than product features. It simultaneously considers non-functional concerns like security, maintainability and extensibility.
- Fostering Best Practices. We might be small but we've got big ambitions. Folks joining the team will be defining our software engineering culture.
A Little About You:
- 4+ years of back end software development experience.
- Professional experience with Python 3; Experience with Flask a plus.
- Professional experience with a relational database like PostgreSQL.
- Experience with strongly typed languages (Golang, Kotlin, Rust, etc...).
- Experience using Docker for local software development.
- Experience designing APIs (Protocol Buffers, RAML, Swagger, OpenAPI, etc).
- Experience with distributed systems and microservices.
- A champion for Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery (CI/CD).
- Clear, concise written and verbal communication.
- You thrive in a highly independent work culture and are capable of working autonomously.
- You have initiative and motivation to make things happen.
- You always want to sit next to the person who is smarter than you because you value a culture of mentorship and learning.
- You are egoless, hold yourself accountable and you have a thoughtful approach to adopting new technology.
- You are looking to bring your voice and talent to a mission-driven company in ways that help it to grow and expand its reach.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Bestow does not currently sponsor applicants for work visas.
Read Full Job Description