Buying a home should be an exciting milestone. But all too often, it’s stressful, especially in a competitive market or when you’re buying and selling at the same time. So we’re redesigning the home-buying experience. We’re a fast-paced real estate startup that empowers agents to help homebuyers buy with cash. We buy homes on behalf of our partners’ clients with our cash, then the client buys the home back from us.
Founder and CEO Tim Heyl, a 10-year industry veteran and owner of one of the fastest-growing agent teams in the country, started Homeward in 2018. In fact, he bought our first customer’s home with his own life savings. Today we offer two services — Buy with cash and Buy before you sell — in Texas, Colorado, and Georgia.
We’ve raised more than $160MM in equity capital from top-tier venture investors, including Norwest, Blackstone Alternative Asset Management, Adams Street, Javelin, and LiveOak. Our leadership team includes experts from the real estate, mortgage, and technology industries.
About the opportunity
We're seeking a Senior Backend Engineer to help us build a simpler, more customer-centric home buying and selling experience in partnership with real estate agents.
This role is not eligible to be performed from Colorado. This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.In this role you will:
- Design and implement new features on our product roadmap.
- Work with the team as we refine our overall platform strategy and architecture.
- Assist with the design, implementation, and integration of existing applications with our next-generation data platform.
- Balance writing code using best practices with the need for rapid development.
- Work collaboratively across the organization to understand business needs, and use those to drive technology decisions.
- Assess the tradeoffs between picking off-the-shelf software and building something in house, be able to clearly communicate the rationale behind that decision, and help drive execution of delivering on business needs with either approach.
- Work alongside the rest of the engineering team to help automate and optimize our workflows.
- Plan experiments that allow us to gauge the outcomes of the work we do - before writing code, hypothesizing what the outcome will be, make a plan to measure the results, and then assess and iterate on those results.
- 5+ years of experience designing and building durable, high-availability systems, optimizing for delivering the most value as quickly as possible.
- Experience using our stack or similar technologies (Python 3, Django, Celery, Postgres, React, Redux)
- Experience with cloud-based PaaS and IaaS offerings (most notably Heroku, AWS, and GCP).
- Working knowledge of version control and CI/CD tools.
- Experience working on a small, tight-knit, high-performing engineering team.
- A high bar when it comes to quality - knowing when to test, what to test, and how to test.
THE GOLDEN RULE
Whether we’re dealing with colleagues or customers, we follow The Golden Rule, treating others the way we want to be treated. It’s a simple rule, but it’s also significant: we don’t prioritize money or growth over people, and we practice empathy at every opportunity.
We work in tech and build solutions for real estate. Both are fast-paced and stressful industries. So it’s important that we focus on the larger objective rather than rushing from one task to the next. If something is out of scope, we say “No.” If something feels rushed, we pump the brakes. This calm focus helps us create solutions our customers love.
ONE TEAM, ONE DREAM
Big problems require big solutions. We look at our customers’ experience holistically, and recognize that solving them requires collaboration across teams. This approach extends to cooperation among our three affiliate companies — Homeward, Homeward Mortgage and Homeward Title — and produces a more integrated homebuying experience.