Senior Software Engineer - Full Stack - Avail (Part of The Realtor.com Network)
Realtor.com®, a leading online destination for real estate services, has acquired Avail. This role will align with the Avail team, the newest addition to the realtor.com® network. Avail offers a software platform with a complete set of tools, guidance, and best in class educational content providing landlords with everything they need to be confident and professional.
At Avail (Part of The Realtor.com Network) we are looking for an experienced full-stack engineer who can help take our product to the next level. We need someone passionate about building web applications and fluent in technologies across our entire stack. We work in a highly collaborative environment, where each person is expected to bring expertise, strong opinions and raw talent to the table. Vast knowledge of and enthusiasm about web technologies past and present is an absolute must. Join our group of skilled and motivated professionals as we change our customers' lives for the better and build the world's premier landlord software.
What will you do?
- Excited about building new ideas as you are improving and maintaining existing features across the Avail product
- Build and scale our backend infrastructure and services to meet fast-growing data demands of a national audience
- Advocate for good, clean, well-documented and performant code
- Flexible to work within our current processes, but confident enough to notice areas for improvement and opportunities to establish new best practices for our engineering team
- Translate design mockups into well-scoped and executable engineering tasks
- Enjoys collaborative and constructive code reviews with fellow developers
- Work closely with product designers, product managers, engineers, and customer support to deliver a compelling user-facing product, leveraging tools and frameworks such as React, Webpack, and Ruby on Rails
- Provide thoughtful solutions to complex scaling and performance issues
- Care about and can identify security needs at all levels of the application
- Troubleshoot and solve technical issues as they arise in a timely manner
What will you bring?
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in computer science, or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years of professional frontend development building and maintaining a production frontend build
- 5+ years of professional experience working with and scaling a production Ruby on Rails application
- Broad understanding and experience using relational databases and SQL
- Excellent programming experience and a passion to continue learning new and familiar technologies
- Strong eye for design and user experience paired with the ability to bring design mockups to life
- Positive attitude, intellectual curiosity, and strong work ethic
Nice to Haves:
- Experience with Apollo and GraphQL (if you've helped migrate from REST to GraphQL let's talk)
- Experience in deploying to Amazon's Elastic Beanstalk or a similar auto-scaling architecture
- Broad knowledge of SEO best practices, able to produce performant landing pages
This is a full-time position that could be based in Chicago, IL or in one of our offices for the right candidate.
At realtor.com®, we believe that everyone deserves a home of their own. We’re a community of nearly 2,000 employees that work hard to ensure that from the moment someone starts dreaming about a new home, to the moment they walk in the door and beyond, we’re there to lend a helping hand. Every month, 70 million people trust us with their journey home by visiting our site and mobile apps, and we’d love to have you join our team to help.
We’ve got great offices across Canada and the US and lots of sweet jobs to choose from, so we’re hoping you’ll join us on our journey to make home buying and selling easier, and more rewarding for everyone.
Let’s make a difference, together. For Real.