Senior Software Engineer, Scala / Ruby (Ecosystem Team)
BigCommerce is disrupting the e-commerce industry as the SaaS leader for fast- growing, mid-market businesses. We enable our customers to build intuitive and engaging stores to support every stage of their growth.
Be a member on our Ecosystem Team that powers our billing, partner, & identity platforms. You’ll be working with team members to extend our products and integrate with a broad array of external services. BigCommerce offers a heavily collaborative environment helping you expand your skill set and take ideas from inception to delivery. This role will require a need to balance: driving our aggressive product roadmap, improving the performance and stability of our system, introducing engineering best practices into the organization, and leading/mentoring other engineers.
What you’ll do
- Build highly-available, redundant, and scalable distributed systems.
- Write code that is performant, maintainable, clear, and concise.
- Work closely with operations while building and scaling back-end services.
- Introduce and support event driven architectures.
- Collaborate with product and design to support an optimal user experience.
- Participate in code reviews to maintain and improve quality.
- Build new features with a focus on extensibility and quality.
- Help design/architect/execute the building of services for the BigCommerce platform.
- Build highly-available, distributed systems.
- Build integrations with 3rd party SOAP/REST APIs that can span multiple codesets/services, fail gracefully, and be highly extensible
- Encourage innovation and foster an environment of continuous improvement
- Foster a culture that is open, positive, energized and innovative
Who You Are
- At least 4+ years of experience as a Software Engineer in a JVM language.
- Strong plus to have 2+ years of experience with Scala.
- Strong plus to have 2+ years of Ruby on Rails experience.
- Experience building integrations with 3rd party SOAP/REST API providers that can span multiple code sets, fail gracefully and be highly extendable.
- Knowledge of TDD, BDD, DDD.
- Nice to Have: Experience with OAuth and/or SAML workflows and permissions.
- Nice to Have: DevOps experience, Google Cloud Platform experience, and/or Docker or other containerization technologies
- Knowledge of gRPC/GraphQL, RabbitMQ, and familiarity with caching solutions
- Knowledge of functional programming paradigm with reactive design patterns.
- Experience in highly scalable service-oriented architectures.
- Desire to work in a collaborative, open environment on an Agile team
- Highly proactive and results-oriented with excellent critical thinking skills
- Excited to learn new technologies
- Experience with ecommerce, distributed queuing systems, SaaS platforms, highly desirable
Diversity & Inclusion at BigCommerce
We have the opportunity to build not only a great business, but a great company, with soul. Our beliefs and commitment to diversity and inclusion are a central part of achieving that.
Our dedication to diversity and inclusion is grounded in two things: a moral belief in the dignity, value, and potential of every individual, and a practical belief that diverse, inclusive teams will create the best outcomes for our customers, partners, employees, and company. We welcome everyone to be a part of our journey.