Site Reliability Engineer I
BigCommerce is disrupting the e-commerce industry as the SaaS leader for fast-growing, mid-market businesses. We enable our customers to build intuitive and engaging stores to support every stage of their growth.
BigCommerce, named a 2019 "Best Place to Work" in Austin, is looking for a Site Reliability Engineer I. In the Site Reliability Engineering team at BigCommerce, we work across multiple time zones to ensure the continued 24x7 availability and performance of the critical infrastructure that runs our platform. We believe that a fast, reliable and secure platform gives our customers the best chance of living out their entrepreneurial dreams and achieving ecommerce success.
In this entry level SRE position you'll be learning the skills necessary to administer and grow large-scale web architectures with well-versed technical veterans across a varied technologies and languages. Day to day, you’ll work in the shell on multiple servers and make changes to configuration management as you work to resolve issues raised to the team and implement new services as we grow.
What you’ll do
- Learn how to run, configure, scale, and design complex, highly-scalable and high-performing systems across a diverse range of technologies
- Work with the team to ensure our platform exceeds availability, capacity, scalability, and performance goals
- Actively monitor overall system performance, from the web clients through to the data stores with New Relic and Grafana
- Assist in analyzing and tuning our systems, identifying bottlenecks, forecasting demand and planning capacity
- Work with highly-skilled and experienced technical mentors and participate in self-learning initiatives to sharpen your skills and grow your career
- Participate in patch management, incident response and blameless postmortems
- Communicate with other engineers/stakeholders, describe problems succinctly to enable issue management
- Encourage engineering ownership of products in production
- Perform periodic weekday and weekend on-call duty as part of a global team of engineers
Who you are:
- BA/BS degree in computer science or related field or equivalent experience
- 2+ years handling customer-facing, high-availability, large scale web-based applications, including load balancing, caching, CDNs, and clustering technologies
- You have an eagerness to learn new languages and technologie.
- Deep understanding of web application architecture, including TCP/IP and HTTP, caching, load balancing, and databases
- Knowledge of SQL (MySQL) tuning and optimization. Memcached, Redis, and Elasticsearch are also nice
- Experience with tools such as Nagios, New Relic, Graphite, and statsd.
- Some configuration management experience (such as Puppet) and desire to gain more
- An open, transparent teammate and an eager learner, with a focus on getting it done
- Maintain calm in crisis: balance judgement with courage to fix production problems
- Have passion for building and operating large-scale commerce systems
- Thrive working on concurrent problems, including issue triage and prioritization
- Drive issues to completion. Marshal resources in high-pressure situations
- Dedicated to the craft. You write clean, comprehensible, and well-documented code
Diversity & Inclusion at BigCommerce
We have the opportunity to build not only a great business, but a great company, with soul. Our beliefs and commitment to diversity and inclusion are a central part of achieving that.
Our dedication to diversity and inclusion is grounded in two things: a moral belief in the dignity, value, and potential of every individual, and a practical belief that diverse, inclusive teams will create the best outcomes for our customers, partners, employees, and company. We welcome everyone to be a part of our journey.