Software Engineer II, Ruby (IAM Team) at BigCommerce (Remote)
BigCommerce’s mission is to help merchants sell more at every stage of growth, from small startups, to mid-market businesses to large enterprises. We focus on being the best ecommerce platform so our customers can focus on what matters most: growing their businesses.
We are equally passionate about growing our employee’s careers and providing them an incredible experience as we rapidly expand across the globe. We are proud to have been recognized numerous times for our product and workplace culture. We empower our people and customers to build, innovate and grow, so together we can redefine the ecommerce industry.
BigCommerce, named a “Best Place to Work” in 2021 is looking for a full-time Software Engineer II, Ruby on our Identity & Access Management (IAM) Team in the exciting and rapidly growing e-commerce industry. This position can be fully remote, to be considered applicants must be based in the United States.
The BigCommerce Engineering team is on a mission to build the top tier SaaS ecommerce platform. Our global team of engineers works from our Austin, San Francisco and Sydney offices, with remote work allowed and are focused on building the right product for our customers in the right way.
We build and extend the services responsible for managing access and authorization across the platform for users, partners, and the BigCommerce platform. Our primary languages are Ruby with some Scala, PHP, React + TypeScript. Architecturally we use REST APIs, gRPC, and we leverage a host of internal deployment and cloud infrastructure tools.
Be a member of our Identity and Access Management Team that powers authentication and authorization throughout the platform. You’ll be working with team members to extend our products and integrate with a broad array of internal and external services. BigCommerce offers a heavily collaborative environment helping you expand your skillset and take ideas from inception to delivery.
What You’ll Do:
- Build systems and APIs that provide elite identity and access management features to the entire platform.
- Write code that is performant, maintainable, clear, and concise
- Collaborate with our product and design teams to define feature specifications and timelines
- Engage in technical discussion of new solutions and architectures
- Participate in code reviews to maintain and improve quality
- Support an open, positive, and energized culture
- Encourage innovation and champion an environment of continuous improvement
Who You Are:
- 2 years’ experience as a Software Engineer in Ruby or a similar language
- Bachelor's degree in CS, EE, SW, CE, MIS; or equivalent experience or completed either a comprehensive software engineering boot camp
- Experience with Scala, PHP, or React.js is a plus
- Think iteratively by breaking down problems into smaller, deliverable / deployable pieces
- Knowledge of gRPC, RabbitMQ, and familiarity with caching solutions
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform or Cloud Computing highly desirable
- Experience in highly scalable service-oriented architectures
- Solid UNIX knowledge
- Knowledge of Access Control Lists, Role Based Access Control, and Authentication concepts a strong plus
Hybrid: “Flexible work from home options available” for those wanting an office environment. Available in Austin, Texas and San Francisco, CA
The key benefits of implementing IAM:
- Facilitating the identification of loopholes in control points by phased approach of providing access controls
- Enhancing business value by improving security
- Improving compliance with various industry regulations and creating opportunities for new business initiatives,
- Reducing overall effort of IT administration
- Improving the productivity of employees and other members,
- More effective customer support
- Streamlining IT management in large organizations for enhancing overall ROI for business
- Providing scalable approach that enables IT expansion in growing organizations
Our Hiring Processes Might Include
We want to see your problem-solving and analytical skills. Be prepared to write good, clean, scalable code. You don’t need to know our entire stack, but we’re looking for practical experience, someone who can tackle production problems in the cloud.
- Recruiter Phone Screen
- Hiring Manager Screening
- Online Code Assessment
- Online Technical Design Assessment
- Note: Visa Work Authorization Sponsorship Supported and Relocation Assistance Provided
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the interview process, to perform essential job functions and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you need an accommodation in order to interview at BigCommerce, please let us know during any of your interactions with our recruiting team.
Learn more about the BigCommerce team, culture and benefits at https://careers.bigcommerce.com.