Software Engineer, Ruby on Rails at Bright Health
Back to Career Site
Our Mission is to Make Healthcare Right. Together. Built upon the belief that by connecting and aligning the best local resources in healthcare delivery with the financing of care, we can deliver a superior consumer experience, lower costs, and optimized clinical outcomes.
What drives our mission? The company values we live and breathe every day. We keep it simple: Be Brave. Be Brilliant. Be Accountable. Be Inclusive. Be Collaborative.
If you share our passion for changing healthcare so all people can live healthy, brighter lives – apply to join our team.
- Design, develop, document, test, and debug new and existing API endpoints, services, and data models for multiple Rails applications
- Work closely with architects and product owners as they create conceptual designs and technical specifications for client-side application work
- Implement the functionality as designed, including automated tests
- Participate in project technical design meetings as needed and collaborate on feature implementation requirements with architects and product owners
- Collaborate with quality engineers to create and deliver test plans including automated and manual test plans to meet quality objectives
- Perform code reviews of other engineers’ code and mentor other engineering colleagues in best practices for general software development, Rails development, and new technologies
EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- BA/BS Degree in computer science, information systems, or related field preferred or equivalent experience of 2 to 4 additional years in the industry required.
- 0-2 years of experience working on MVC-based web applications, demonstrating increasing skill in tackling technical challenges. A desire (and proven ability) to pick up new frameworks and concepts.
- Experience working on web applications
- Experience working with an RDBMS such as PostgreSQL and strong familiarity with relational database concepts.
- Understanding of software development practices and concepts such as Object-oriented programming, Web application technologies, Web application security, and testing best practices. Have at least a general familiarity with determining the runtime & space complexity of algorithms.
- Have an understanding of our core technologies and frameworks, including Ruby, Rails, PostgreSQL, RSpec, and Capybara. Continuously learn & develop skills in Object-oriented programming, Web technologies, caching, optimization, and others.Capable of communicating technical concepts and ideas to other engineers and to non-engineering members of the team. Able to discuss application features & use cases with end users and customer contacts.
- Excited to work in a fast-paced environment and work on a wide variety of tasks and projects
- Professional – unquestionable integrity, credibility and character with high moral and ethical behavior
- Experience with any of the following appreciated but not required:
- Web security
- WebSockets for real-time messaging
- AI / ML concepts and using ML models in production applications
We understand patient pain points, eliminating complexity while increasing transparency, for greater access and easier navigation.
We integrate and align individual incentives at all levels, from financing to optimization to delivery of care.