H-E-B Digital is seeking new Partners! H-E-B is not only a grocery retailer, but also a leading innovator in technology and this is an exciting time to join our team. We’re using the best available technologies to deliver modern, engaging, reliable, and scalable experiences to meet the needs of our growing audience. Described by industry experts as a daring innovator and smart competitor, H-E-B has led the way with creative new concepts, outstanding service and a commitment to diversity in our workforce, workplace and marketplace. H-E-B offers a wealth of career opportunities to our 120,000+ Partners (employees), competitive compensation and benefits program and comprehensive training that lead to successful careers.
Since 2015 H-E-B Digital has been investing heavily in our customers' digital experience, innovating our technology stack that supports our brick & mortar business and supply chain operations, reinventing how customers find inspiration from food, and how we ultimately help customers leverage amazing technology getting food into their homes. This is an exciting time to join H-E-B Digital, and we're hiring across the stack of our challenging distributed systems. Our digital solutions are growing in popularity and adoption—from manufacturing all the way to Curbside and Home Delivery. If you're someone who enjoys taking on new challenges, working in a rapidly changing environment, learning new skills, and applying it all to solve large and impactful business problems, we want you as part of our team.
Our Partners thrive The H-E-B Way. In the Senior Software Engineer - Core Network Edge(Stores) job, that means you have a…
HEART FOR PEOPLE... you have a passion for mentorship and guidance, and love for the direct person-to-person interactions that create strong bonds between teams.
HEAD FOR BUSINESS... you have an ownership mentality and a consistent track record of timely delivery of high-quality software.
PASSION FOR RESULTS... the ability to guide the discussion, remove roadblocks, and provide guardrails for your team as they identify challenges and propose solutions
The HEB Core Network Engineering team is growing and we’re looking for a talented, experienced, highly motivated engineer with a proven networking and software development background to transform and improve operations efficiency and reliability of our dynamic, fast-growing Stores networks. Our customers demand the highest quality and reliability and challenge us to be best-in-class every day. The Core Network Edge (Stores) Engineering team is responsible for design, build, and support of foundational network and security solutions for Stores that allow our partner Digital teams to deliver responsive, highly available, and reliable solutions to H-E-B business partners and customers.
As a Senior Software Engineer - Core Network Edge(Stores), you will be responsible for supporting the end to end lifecycle management, automation, security , design , deployment, capacity planning, operations, observability and reliability of HEBs Store networks. You will support the overall development and delivery of new designs and services into the Stores networks and partner with internal customers, field services, engineering, development and product teams to achieve successful outcomes for the business. The right candidate will be comfortable operating in a fast-paced agile environment with minimal the supervision and will serve to be a solid asset in driving continuous process improvements, technical implementations, network automation practices in this domain. You will support the professional development of other junior members on the team.
What You'll Do
- Help drive the design, implementation, support, security of network software, hardware, services that are critical to Stores Network health
- Drive and support security, compliance, reliability, and availability through participation in service health reviews and cross-team strategic/service alignment discussions
- Serve as an Experienced Asset on operations of HEBs production Stores networks and proactively research, learn, and deploy new technologies to evolve, scale the network to support edge workloads
- Write, develop, debug, perform peer code reviews to support the development, testing and integration of new hardware and software platforms into the Stores network
- Help build, support and maintain automation frameworks to support Stores Network Infrastructure operational activities to reduce toil: device certification, onboarding, provisioning, migrations, patching, refreshes, upgrades, compliance auditing, decommissions, circuit maintenances, observability etc
- Help identify inconsistencies within Stores network infrastructure environment and drive process improvements and efficiency through service redesign via automation for frictionless network service delivery
- Participate in a 24x 7 on-call rotation with other members on the team to support the Stores network infrastructure and serve as an escalation point of contact for critical production impacting incidents
- Contribute to technical deep dive discussions to better escalation and emergency responses with detailed postmortem, root cause analysis while addressing issues systematically to prevent future occurrences incorporating findings and fixes into DevOps sprint planning cycle
- Design and deploy suitable testbeds for testing Networking software and hardware components
- Interface with Digital Information Security Office, Security Operations , Compliance and business customers to design and deliver security-related enhancements and solutions in accordance with existing compliance standards(HIPAA, PCI etc)
- Help write and publish, quality policies, standards, procedures, technical documents, automation scripts/workbooks pertinent to the Stores network environment
- Help define and evangelize key network service performance metrics to meet service availability requirements for Stores networks
- Proactively manage projects and BAU task priorities, deadlines, deliverables with proficient workload planning
- Build cross-functional relationship with partner foundational technology teams, vendors, WAN service providers to manage day-to-day operations and reliability of the Stores network
Who We Are
- H-E-B is one of the largest, independently owned food retailers in the nation, operating over 400 stores throughout Texas and Mexico, with annual sales generating over $32 billion.
- We hire talented people, 120,000+ Partners, and give them autonomy to be creative in how they impact the business.
- We’re a Partner-driven company with a Bold Promise – Because People Matter.
- We embrace Diversity and Inclusion as core values and support them with thriving company-wide programs.
- We’re a truly original Texas-based company that created the Spirit of Giving to help Texas communities every day.
- Once eligible, our Partners become Owners in the company. “Partner-owned” means our most important resources – People – drive the innovation, growth, and success that make H-E-B The Greatest Retailing Company.
Who You Are
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in a field related to Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Software or a related technical discipline or equivalent practical work experience
- CCNP,CCIE, ACEP, ACEX, NSE7/8 or similar industry network-based certifications is a huge plus
- 5+ years of experience managing large scale multi-vendor , multi-protocol enterprise networks and/or network projects
- 5+ years of professional software development coding in higher-level languages (e.g., Python, C++, Go, Rust etc.) and deep knowledge of automation technologies, frameworks and network vendor APIs, workflow systems (Ansible, Puppet, Jenkins, Terraform, REST, YAML, JSON, Batfish, JINJA2, Netmiko, Netbox, Batfish, Git, Slack ChatOps etc)
- 3+ years of demonstrated experience with network automation (e.g. automated provisioning and remote configuration of switches, routers firewalls; flow-based analysis and predictive modeling of traffic in dynamic routing environments etc)
- 3+ years of experience with routing protocols such as BGP, EIGRP, OSPF and MPLS; LAN & WAN technologies including L2/L3 VPNs, EVPN, P2P, EVPLS, SD-WAN, IoT, satellite, cellular APN, 4G LTE, 5G etc to support configurations, troubleshooting, performance tuning for HEB Stores networks
- 3+ years of experience with stateful firewalls, non-stateful filtering and packet inspection with working knowledge of network security protocols and functions (SSH, HTTPS/SSL, AAA,VPN, GRE, IPsec, NAT, ACLs etc)
- 3+ years of experience implementing/maintaining monitoring and alerting for production network systems with working knowledge of network management protocols (SNMP, XML, syslog, NetFlow, Netconf etc)
- Solid knowledge of standard industry networking protocols (IP, ICMP, UDP, TCP, SSL, DNS, HTTP, HTTPS, IPAM, NTP, DHCP, HSRP/VRRP/GLBP, ARP, STP, Trunks, Port-channel, LACP, L2 ECMP 802.1x etc)
- Experience developing and understanding network device configurations for one or more vendors (Fortinet, Aruba, Cisco, Linux, etc.)
- Proficient in troubleshooting, mitigating, documenting network hardware and topology failures with focus on root cause identification to prevent future incident occurrences
- Experience with network analysis and performance metrics
- Experience with Microsoft PowerPoint, Visio, Lucidchart, Ilograph or other diagram and presentation tools
- Experience in Agile software development methodology, continuous integration and continuous deployment approaches and tools
- Experience partnering with highly technical engineering and non-technical customers, field services teams to solve open ended issues
- Experience with IT change management best practices
- Highly effective in dealing with customers during problem resolution and operating efficiently under pressure
Do you have what it takes?
- Solid understanding of edge networking and security architectures
- Demonstrated experience in developing network and security solutions programmatically
- Knowledge of automation, performance testing and associated tooling and frameworks for networking and security platforms
- Good understanding and awareness of the process for designing, coding, executing and documenting results network/security builds, changes, incidents etc
- Must be able to work in a 24x7 team on call rotation, with ability to drive into workplace for critical events/needs if required
- Solid understanding of process implementation, workflows and organization expectations
- Ability to prepare / present quality-specific information to peers with sufficient notice and preparation time
- Excellent Analytical skills
- Extensive troubleshooting and problem analysis skills
- Excellent workload management and prioritization skills
- Excellent verbal / written communication and presentation skills
- Self-motivated with a sense of urgency
- Ability to work in an open office work environment
- Ability to adapt to change in the work environment
- Strong ability to influence peers
- Great passion for quality and attention to detail
- Ability to sit in front of computer during scheduled work hours with appropriate breaks while maintaining a high level of alertness