Sr Software Engineer - Scala - Austin at H-E-B
About H-E-B H-E-B is one of the largest, independently owned food retailers in the nation operating over 400 stores throughout Texas and Mexico, with annual sales generating over $25 billion. Described by industry experts as a daring innovator and smart competitor, H-E-B has led the way with creative new concepts, outstanding service and a commitment to diversity in our workforce, workplace and marketplace. H-E-B offers a wealth of career opportunities to our 109,000+ Partners (employees), competitive compensation and benefits program and comprehensive training that lead to successful careers.
Since H-E-B Digital Technology's inception, we've been investing heavily in our customers' digital experience, reinventing how they find inspiration from food, how they make food decisions, and how they ultimately get food into their homes. This is an exciting time to join H-E-B Digital--we're using the best available technologies to deliver modern, engaging, reliable, and scalable experiences to meet the needs of our growing audience. If you enjoy taking on new challenges, working in a rapidly changing environment, learning new skills, and applying it all to solve large and impactful business problems, we want you as part of our team.
Our Partners thrive The H-E-B Way. In the Senior Software Engineer job, that means you have a...
HEART FOR PEOPLE... you can organize multiple engineers, negotiate solutions, and provide upward communication
HEAD FOR BUSINESS... you consistently demonstrate and uphold the standards of coding, infrastructure, and process
PASSION FOR RESULTS... you're capable of high-velocity contributions in multiple technical domains
What you'll do (Design & Development)
- Coach and mentor junior engineers in engineering techniques, processes, and new technologies; enable others to succeed.
- Contribute to overall system design, architecture, security, scalability, reliability, and performance of applications.
- Support the build and deployment pipeline and when necessary, both diagnose and solve production support issues.
- Identify, scope, and architect solutions for new features while applying sound technical judgment that considers technology alternatives, impact on affected / adjacent systems, and tradeoffs.
- Work with Product, Design, and QA to deliver world-class digital experiences.
- Get the opportunity to stay ahead of new technologies with an eye to evaluating and potentially incorporating them into your team's architecture.
- Apply understanding to help improve the cloud infrastructure that powers our high-performance, consumer-scale site and mobile apps.
- Lead initiatives, technical design, and delivery of complex features across multiple systems to improve user experiences
- Recommend changes to processes and tools at the team level based on industry standards, patterns, and practices
- Diagnose / fix highly complex technical issues independently
- Identify and communicate cross-team dependencies
- Communicate individual and project-level development statuses, issues, risks, and concerns to technical leadership and management; research / advise technical leadership in vendor negotiations
- Create documentation and training related to technology stacks and standards within assigned team
- Provide end-to-end support to applications
Who You Are
- You have an ownership mentality and a consistent track record of successful, high-quality results
- You enjoy learning new technologies as they emerge
- You have an advanced understanding of development methodologies and processes
- You have a comprehensive knowledge of CS fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, and design patterns
- You have advanced knowledge of system architecture and design patterns
- You can understand architecture, design, and integration landscape of multiple H-E-B systems
- You have experience with common softwareengineering tools such as Git, JIRA, Confluence, etc.
- You have a high level of comfort in Lean Startup or Agile development methodologies
- You have a bachelor's degree in computer science or comparable field, or equivalent self-study
Who We Are
- H-E-B is one of the largest, independently owned food retailers in the nation, operating over 400 stores throughout Texas and Mexico, with annual sales generating over $26 billion
- We hire talented people (116,000+ Partners), and give them autonomy to be creative in how they impact the business
- We're a Partner-driven company with a Bold Promise - Because People Matter
- We embrace Diversity and Inclusion as core values, and support them with thriving company-wide programs
- We're a truly original Texas-based company that created the Spirit of Giving to help Texas communities every day
- Once eligible, our Partners become Owners in the company. 'Partner-owned' means our most important resources--People--drive the innovation, growth, and success that make H-E-B The Greatest Retailing Company