Tech Lead UI Software Engineer at OJO (Austin, TX)
OJO is committed to fostering an environment where all employees and candidates can thrive, grow, and lead. We strongly encourage members of marginalized communities, including people of color, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and non-binary people, veterans, parents, and individuals with disabilities, to apply with OJO. If you feel like you don’t meet all of the requirements for this role, we encourage you to apply anyway. We know the confidence gap and imposter syndrome gets in the way of meeting incredible candidates and we don’t want anything to get in the way of meeting you. If you need any assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in any portion of our interview process, please reach out to [email protected]About OJO
OJO is an Austin-based real estate technology company guiding more people to successful homeownership. The company’s platform for buying, selling, and homeownership meets people wherever they are on their journey, offering personalized guidance every step of the way. Through a bespoke combination of people and technology, OJO cultivates a deep understanding of individual needs and preferences, matching people with the right tools and trusted providers to equip anyone to unlock the abundant benefits of home ownership.
The OJO residential search site, Movoto by OJO, provides personalized recommendations and highlights listings best suited to each consumers’ needs and preferences, so they never miss a home that might be the right fit. OJO Homeowner, the home management and finance tool, helps consumers uncover hidden savings, monitor equity, and plan for the future, whether managing their home as an asset or identifying the right time to sell. OJO also has a network of more than 30,000 top-rated real estate professionals, the OJO Select Network, and matches each consumer with the expert who can best support their individual journey.
As one of the fastest-growing companies in the U.S., OJO Labs placed 29th on the Deloitte Tech Fast 500 and 49th on the Inc. 5000. To date, the company has raised more than $140 million to fuel its rapid growth. CEO and Founder, John Berkowitz, has been named EY Entrepreneur of the Year for Central Texas and a top CEO by the Austin Business Journal and the company’s executives have won more than a dozen industry awards in the past year. OJO Labs is headquartered in Austin, Texas and has more than 700 employees globally with a presence in Chicago, Minneapolis, and San Mateo; and a large operations center in St. Lucia.
We consistently incorporate social and environmental impact into decision-making at OJO because we consider it important to the success of our business and our overarching purpose to equip anyone to unlock the abundant benefits of homeownership. From saving to buying, owning to selling, we guide people through all the twists and turns along the way. So they can unlock more than just the front door.
At OJO Engineering, we highly value a thirst for learning, the ability to collaborate, and passion for our customers. We are excited to tackle hard technical problems. We take our responsibility seriously as we use technology to help our customers make important, sometimes life-changing, buying decisions. If you enjoy working in a fast-paced environment alongside some of the best engineers in Austin, come join us!
We're looking for a mindful, empathetic, and self-aware Tech Lead UI Software Engineer to join our team to help us move our product and engineering teams forward.About the Team:
As part of our Acquisition team you will play an influential part in our consumer acquisition strategy + growth of new users while building more engaging experiences. Our Acquisition Team mission is to help reassure potential customers that OJO Labs is the right choice for them through a frictionless, conversational journey, demonstrating values that match their homeownership objectives. This will be an opportunity for a UI Tech Lead looking to make meaningful impact with one of the fastest growing and largest privately owned real estate portals in the US by helping us to experiment faster and do more at scale to drive high quality consumer growth + engagement.Responsibilities:
- Lead a team of distributed engineers building real estate software used by tens of millions of users a month on one of the fastest growing real estate sites in the USA
- Architect, build, and maintain the frontend platform used by various teams on movoto.com
- Work closely with product, design, growth, data sciences, and other stakeholders to guide new feature development and shipment
- Provide hands on leadership in systems design, architecture, development, code reviews, and QA/QE
- Be an advocate and catalyst of change for improving front end architecture
- Define and drive adoption for best practices within your teams and applications
- 5+ years of hands on development experience in front end technologies
- Passion for mentoring other engineers in their technical careers
- Effective communication skills with varying stakeholders
- Experience with application state management and supporting libraries.
- Proven interests in OJO and attention for details. Please put “Ada Lovelace” in your resume or your cover letter.
- Computer Science or other technical degree (or equivalent job experience)
- Experience building mobile friendly consumer web applications
- Experience building maintainable systems supported by automated tests
- Experience with SEO and client-side performance optimization (think Lighthouse and PageSpeed)
- Experience building accessible web applications
- Experience with SSR
- Experience with using and contributing to a global design system
- Experience working with DevOps teams, CI/CD, containerized applications, and serverless infrastructure.
What do we have to offer?
- Equitable Pay Practices
- Flexible PTO Policy
- 20+ Paid Company Holidays
- Options for 100% Coverage of Employee and Dependent Medical Health Premiums
- Robust Ancillary Benefit Offerings Including Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Disability Coverage, and Pre Tax Savings Accounts
- Talkspace Access for Employees and Their Dependents
- Home Office Stipend
- Monthly Wellness Stipend
- Generous Paid Parental Leave
- Investment in Continued Learning
- Promote from Within Philosophy
- Volunteer Program
- Dog-friendly Workplace
Ready to join us? Here’s what to expect next:
Step 1: Complete the application below
Step 2: Recruiter Phone Screen
Step 3: Hiring Manager Video Interview
Step 4: Subject Matter Expert/Technical Video Interview
Step 5: Role-specific Project Assignment + Final Round Interview
Diversity and Inclusion at OJO:
OJO is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. We provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment and do not discriminate on any basis prohibited by law, including race, color, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, religion, national origin, disability, marital status, and veteran status. We provide equal employment opportunities at all stages in the employment process, including hiring, recruitment, selection, compensation, benefits, promotion, demotion, layoff, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Further, all of our employees have a responsibility to treat others with dignity and respect at all times.
Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are typically done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on OJO. Please reach out to [email protected] if you need assistance completing any forms or to participate in any portion of the application or interview process.