WordPress Developer Evangelist
BigCommerce, named a "Best Place to Work" in Austin in 2017 is looking for a WordPress Developer Evangelist. In this role you’ll establish strong relationships with WordPress developers around the world in a scalable way, by representing their needs, interests and feedback to the BigCommerce product and engineering teams, connecting external developers to critical resources to help them accomplish their goals, and by making recommendations that will improve their experience.
Through your efforts, you will help empower the extension of the BigCommerce platform (including existing solutions, apps, and integrations) into the WordPress community with the launch of our headless ecommerce plugin and activate and support WordPress developers to build on top of the BigCommerce plugin. You’ll interact directly with external developers, partners, and internal teams to communicate and drive platform, resource, and experience insights and improvements. The WordPress Developer Evangelist is a critical role in building a healthy and thriving developer ecosystem and helping bridge both the WordPress and BigCommerce developer ecosystems.
What will you do:
- Be a subject matter expert on WordPress, ecommerce, and community/developer needs.
- Become an expert on the BigCommerce Platform.
- Be the "Voice of the WordPress Developer" within BigCommerce, translating developer needs and feedback into prioritized and actionable product and plugin insights.
- Leverage the developer/partner feature request site (Ideas) in the BigCommerce Developer Community to help prioritize developer needs.
- Provide proactive and reactive one-on-one outreach with developers, in person or via virtual meetups to get feedback for improving the developer experience.
- Help onboard new partners and maximize the efforts and quality of partner solutions.
- Work with existing BigCommerce partners who have equivalent WordPress plugins to ensure full system compatibility.
- Contribute to the BigCommerce Developer Community and Developer Blog, demonstrating your expertise and platform knowledge to build trust, confidence and rapport amongst the developer community.
- Contribute to external WordPress Developer Communities and Blogs, showcasing unique ways developers are working with our plugin to build rapport among top WordPress developers in the community.
- Work effectively cross functionally— Support, Learning and Organization Development (L&OD), Marketing, Sales, Product, and Engineering with relative ease and purpose to drive business needs.
- Help external developers find solutions to their problems within our internal and external community.
- Grow and develop the success of the BigCommerce developer ecosystem finding innovative ways to create additional awareness and momentum both internally and externally.
- Provide key insights to the developer docs and L&OD team to help fill content gaps and training needs.
- Use your strong analytical skills to track ecosystem trends and to report insights and performance.
Who you are:
- 7+ years of experience working in the WordPress community as a developer, evangelist, or part of an agency
- 1-2 years of experience working closely with, or as an embedded team member of, a software development team
- Engineering background with experience using public APIs and SDKs preferred
- Passion for intricacies of software development and know-how to setup your local environment to run standalone PHP, Ruby, or JS code
- Ability to quickly understand complex, interdependent technical requirements
- Strong communicator with excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills and ability to communicate with and influence both technical and non-technical audiences at multiple levels, up to senior executives
- A collaborator with excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills
- Demonstrated ability to champion and drive cross-functional initiatives for new technologies
- Ability to succeed in a fast-paced, innovative, and rapidly evolving industry and business organization
- Excellent analytical skills, keen attention to detail, and ability to follow issues through resolution
- Ability to travel domestically or internationally as needed. This job may require upwards of 30% travel (12-15 weeks annually) to attend domestic and international conferences, meetups, and other events which may require overnight stays or week long stays at locations (depending on project).
BigCommerce is a robust, flexible commerce platform that provides established and emerging brands with everything they need to launch, promote, manage and scale a successful online store.BigCommerce merchants earn more than retailers on competitive commerce solutions thanks to advanced features, better site performance and streamlined business processes. Founded in 2009, the company has received more than $100 million in funding from SoftBank Capital, American Express, Telstra Ventures, General Catalyst, Revolution Growth and FLOODGATE. BigCommerce supports thousands of retailers around the world from its offices in San Francisco, Austin and Sydney.
We’re a team of smart, passionate and talented people on a mission to democratize commerce. If you’re looking to work with industry leaders and love what you do, we want to hear from you!
Perks & Benefits
- An amazing company culture that doesn’t just talk values, but lives them
- Open vacation policy for salaried team members and generous accrual vacation policy for hourly team members, + paid sick time
- Competitive compensation packages and meaningful stock grants for every employee
- Comprehensive health insurance coverage that starts on day one
- Fully stocked kitchens and craft beers (don’t worry, we also subsidize gym memberships)
- Four especially cool offices in Austin, San Francisco and Sydney
- A free online store to help you live out your entrepreneurial dreams
- Employee-driven team building activities like paintball, rock climbing, social sports leagues, hackathons, movie nights, river floats, etc.
- Time off for volunteering and employee-driven charity events