At Elastic, we have a simple goal: to solve the world's data problems with products that delight and inspire. As the company behind the popular open source projects — Elasticsearch, Kibana, Beats, and Logstash — we help people around the world do great things with their data. From stock quotes to Twitter streams, Apache logs to WordPress blogs, our products are extending what's possible with data, delivering on the promise that good things come from connecting the dots. We unite Elasticians across 30+ countries (and counting!), 18 timezones, and 30 different languages into one coherent team, while the broader community spans across over 100 countries.
Our Finance team is seeking a Director of Accounting to be a leader in an established accounting and consolidations team. Working with the guidance of our Senior Director of Accounting & Financial Reporting and other Finance Leaders, your efforts will alter the success of the day-to-day financial operations worldwide. You will be instrumental in driving automation and standardization across accounting processes, and review and preparation of monthly, quarterly, and yearly financial tasks to close the books timely while developing our team as they proactively keep pace with a rapidly growing business. Ours is a fast-growing, truly globally distributed company. We are eager to build efficiency and drive automation across the accounting function, and we will look to you for leadership in these endeavors.
You will work together with a broad range of groups: Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Treasury, Financial Reporting, FP&A, Revenue Accounting, Tax, Internal Audit as well as external auditors and consultants.What you will be doing:
- Drive the development of strategies to improve accounting operations efficiencies, effectiveness, and scalability, including the development and execution of policy, process, and system changes
- Actively participate with the cross-functional team in driving the Finance Systems roadmap, appropriately prioritizing initiatives and helping to ensure automated solutions are implemented timely and effectively
- Oversee and lead general ledger accounting activities to ensure timely and accurate reporting, including reviewing or journal entries and account reconciliations, flux analysis and performing or reviewing internal controls
- Lead the monthly close activities across the accounting and finance organization.
- Adopt a continuous improvement approach to refine and streamline the close and audit preparation process
- Effectively build, lead and manage a team, consisting of and demonstrating world-class tools, processes, and personnel, to deliver against the objectives of the department
- Being knowledgeable of and bringing insight on world-class processes and tools. Align with global tools, policies, and processes wherever possible and practical
- Ensure compliance with local statutory regulations for international subsidiaries
- Support the tax function with schedules and information required for timely tax compliance
- Participate in preparing supplying documentation for the annual audit and quarterly reviews with external auditors, internal audit SOX control requests, other accounting team data requests, and executive management special projects
- Lead special projects as needed
- 7+ years’ relevant financial experience, currently a Director of Accounting in both the US and a Global operating environment
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, a related field or equivalent education; CPA required
- 4+ years audit/assurance experience at a senior manager level from a Big 4 public accounting firm.
- Client side experience should include managing the G/L function for a publicly traded company, to include exposure to international subsidiaries and foreign currency
- SOX experience (Manager level or above) and experience interacting with Big Four auditors
- Demonstrated experience in a leadership role building, managing, mentoring and developing robust teams
- Previous experience working in an environment where significant process development was required in a fast growth, chaotic environment (you enjoy developing policies, defining processes and building key controls)
- Ability to work both independently and as a great leader and teammate in a dynamic environment with multiple and sometimes competing priorities
- Proven track record to collaborate and build positive relationships with other teams within finance and non-finance teams to effectively make recommendations, implement process/policies, etc.