General Manager - Financial Products at Homeward
We're seeking a General Manager of our Financial Products to help us build simpler, more customer-centric home buying and selling experiences in partnership with real estate agents.
Buying a home should be an exciting milestone. But all too often, it’s stressful, especially in a competitive market or when you’re buying and selling at the same time. So we’re redesigning the homebuying experience. We’re a fast-paced real estate startup that empowers agents to help homebuyers buy with cash. We buy homes on behalf of our partners’ clients with our cash, then the client buys the home back from us.
Founder and CEO Tim Heyl, a 10-year industry veteran and owner of one of the fastest-growing agent teams in the country, started Homeward in 2018. In fact, he bought our first customer’s home with his own life savings. Today we offer two services — Buy with cash and Buy before you sell — in Texas, Colorado, and Georgia.
We’ve raised more than $160MM in equity capital from top-tier venture investors, including Norwest, Blackstone Alternative Asset Management, Adams Street, Javelin, and LiveOak. Our leadership team includes experts from the real estate, mortgage, and technology industries.
About the opportunity
As the General Manager of our Financial Products team, you’ll own and evolve our complete portfolio of financial products. These are the core of our company and impact thousands of customers buying and selling homes across the country. You’ll build a team, rollout new products, and continue improving our existing offers. If you’re looking for an exciting, high-profile, high-impact opportunity, you just found it.
This role is not eligible to be performed from Colorado. This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
In this role you will:
- Manage and extend our portfolio of financial products. You’ll own the roadmap, strategy, and execution of our two existing offerings: “Buy Before You Sell” and “Buy with Cash”, and you’ll launch new products that our agents and customers love.
- Work closely with other leaders in the company, including our CEO. This is a high impact role because our financial products drive our revenue, growth, and customer experience.
- Lead a cross-functional team that includes sales, marketing, operations, digital product, and finance. Improving our financial product portfolio is a team effort and you’ll be managing this team to ensure your strategic plans get executed.
- Interview our customers, agent partners, internal industry experts, and front-line employees to understand where the next product improvement opportunities are.
- Use our data to develop actionable product insights. You’ll analyze our customer and agent reviews, survey data, funnel conversion rates, and product performance dashboards to understand how we’re doing in the market and what we can improve.
- Stay on top of our competitors, and ensure our products are differentiated and continue to lead the industry.
- Understand our overall company strategy, and ensure our financial product portfolio fits into that plan, and positions us well for profitable long-term growth.
- Long-term, this role could lead to owning a full P&L and product line as we scale, and will require you to build out our team of financial product managers as you expand the portfolio.
Below are two hypothetical projects to give you a better understanding of what’s expected of you and your team.
- Launch a product improvement: Based on your interviews, you identify that our “Buy with Cash” product needs faster closing times. You work with our operations team to determine what’s possible, and you decide to roll out a “same day close” option. Once the details are finalized, you work with marketing to nail the messaging, and with sales to announce it to our agent partners. Then you track how this feature impacts sales volume and customer experience, and iterate on it as needed.
- Launch a new product: Through your market research, you identify an underserved segment: buyers purchasing lower priced homes between $25,000 - $100,000 also need to make competitive cash offers. You work with our finance and operations teams to design a product at a price that’s economically viable for customers and Homeward, and then you work with our marketing team to build a PR campaign and get it launched.
What you'll bring:
- You’ve spent several years at a high performance startup launching products or programs, or just generally leading cross-functional teams and hitting business goals.
- You’ve been in either a product management or management consulting role for 2-4 years or more. You know how to position a product, prioritize what’s important, and execute on your ideas.
- You can walk us through examples of past products, programs, or other major initiatives you’ve launched.
- You’re interested in housing, financial services, and fintech, and can get up to speed on these spaces quickly. Any experience in these spaces is a major plus, though not required.
- You’ve managed multiple cross-functional teams in the past with a track record of success.
- You’re strategic and analytical. You’ve sized up companies, products, and competitive ecosystems and know how to position a company and product to succeed in the market.
- You’re productive and efficient. You’re organized and run effective meetings. You’re judicial about what you spend time on, and know how to 80/20 tasks so you get the most important things done in a quality way, and ignore the lower priority distractions.
- You have some experience collaborating with marketing and pricing teams, or doing these tasks yourself.
- You’re eager to talk to customers and partners, and have done at least some user research in the past.
THE GOLDEN RULE
Whether we’re dealing with colleagues or customers, we follow The Golden Rule, treating others the way we want to be treated. It’s a simple rule, but it’s also significant: we don’t prioritize money or growth over people, and we practice empathy at every opportunity.
We work in tech and build solutions for real estate. Both are fast-paced and stressful industries. So it’s important that we focus on the larger objective rather than rushing from one task to the next. If something is out of scope, we say “No.” If something feels rushed, we pump the brakes. This calm focus helps us create solutions our customers love.
ONE TEAM, ONE DREAM
Big problems require big solutions. We look at our customers’ experience holistically, and recognize that solving them requires collaboration across teams. This approach extends to cooperation among our three affiliate companies — Homeward, Homeward Mortgage, and Homeward Title — and results in a better homebuying experience.