Intern - Clinical Informatics at Invitae
Location: Remote in U.S.A.
What is the Invitern Program?
The Invitern Program offers opportunities for students, recent grads, or those who are early in their career to develop industry skills through Invitae’s internship roles.
With each opportunity, we aim to create an experience for our interns (Inviterns!) that is enhanced by mentorship, networking opportunities, and impactful work. Throughout the duration of this program, we hope to offer a sense of community with our Inviterns and build lasting relationships. Our hope is that Inviterns become future Invitaens!
The 2022 Summer Invitern Program is a paid internship and will start June 6th, 2022 and commence August 12, 2022.
Late October 2021 - Invitern role open for applications
December 2021 - Inviterns selected
June 2022 - Inviterns start
August 2022 - Invitern Program ends
Invitae is dedicated to bringing comprehensive genetic information into mainstream medicine in order to improve healthcare for billions of people. The Clinical Informatics team is driven to make a difference for the patients we serve! We are leading the transformation of the genetics industry by making genetic information affordable and accessible to guide health decisions across all stages of life.
The team as a whole is responsible for the evaluation of the truth of clinically reportable variants and is often required to investigate genetic or genomic signals identified in production data. All of the team’s work directly impacts patient results, making problem-solving both motivating and exciting. We are currently seeking an intern to join our team for the purpose of supporting some of the basic production tasks that the team is responsible for as well as taking on a contained project leveraging the individual’s development experience.
What you will do:
- Visualize and assess specific genetic variants and analyze NGS data
- Take ownership of a self-contained development project. The project should either be to develop a tool the team can utilize to improve efficiency or address a pain point currently felt by the team through automation
- Work collaboratively with other team members within and external to Clinical Informatics ● Prepare a summary presentation of the project at the end of the internship period
What you will bring:
- Familiarity with common NGS alignment, variant calling, and visualization tools. Experience working with NGS data analysis in either academic or industry environments is a plus ● Proven understanding of human genetics through either academic research or coursework ● 1+ years of experience in Python. Experience with git/version control and working within a shared codebase is a plus
- Bonus: Familiarity and/or hands-on experience with NGS wet-lab protocols
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Position requires availability during normal business hours M-F
By joining Invitae, you’ll work alongside some of the world’s specialists in genetics and healthcare at the forefront of genetic medicine. We’ve crafted a culture that empowers our teams and our teammates to have the biggest impact and to explore their interests and capabilities. We prize freedom with accountability and offer significant flexibility, along with excellent benefits and competitive compensation in a fast-growing organization.
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.