Intern - Environmental Social Governance at Invitae
Location: Remote U.S.A.
What is the Invitern Program?
The Invitern Program offers opportunities for students, recent grads, or those who are early in their career to develop industry skills through Invitae’s internship roles.
With each opportunity, we aim to create an experience for our interns (Inviterns!) that is enhanced by mentorship, networking opportunities, and impactful work. Throughout the duration of this program, we hope to offer a sense of community with our Inviterns and build lasting relationships. Our hope is that Inviterns become future Invitaens!
The 2022 Summer Invitern Program is a paid internship and will start June 6th, 2022 and commence August 12, 2022.
Late October 2021 - Invitern role open for applications
December 2021 - Inviterns selected
June 2022 - Inviterns start
August 2022 - Invitern Program ends
Environment, Social, and Governance (ESG) Intern
Invitae is dedicated to bringing comprehensive genetic information into mainstream medicine to improve healthcare for billions of people. Our team is driven to make a difference for the patients we serve. We are leading the transformation of the genetics industry by making genetic testing affordable and accessible for everyone to guide health decisions across all stages of life.
By joining Invitae, you’ll work alongside some of the world’s experts in genetics and healthcare at the forefront of genetic medicine. We’ve created a culture that empowers our teams and our teammates to have the biggest impact and to explore their interests and capabilities. We prize freedom with accountability and offer significant flexibility.
Because we believe the impacts of climate change, social inequity and the actions of corporations have a direct impact on the health of individuals, making progress on ESG efforts is not a symbolic gesture for us — it is central to our mission, and part of our DNA. You can view our inaugural ESG report here.
We’re looking for people who are passionate about helping improve healthcare to join us.
What you’ll do:
We are seeking a high-energy, self-motivated, organized intern who is passionate about sustainability to join the Invitae ESG team. The role will support our corporate Environment, Social, Governance (ESG) effort to implement enterprise-wide plans to serve patient and customer needs. This individual will play a critical role in executing a few discrete projects that further our corporate goals.
ESG DATA COLLECTION, RESEARCH, AND ANALYSIS
- Partner across business lines to assess and implement sustainability deliverables.
- Collaborate with internal business leads, external vendors and landlords to gather complete data for one or two specific projects, depending upon time available, current priorities in May 2022, and the intern’s skills, background and educational level. Potential projects include:
- Analyzing waste streams (solid and hazardous waste) from largest facilities to determine the percentage that is recycled vs landfilled or incinerated. Gather information on local /state rules and regulations around waste reduction goals and programs to help companies reduce waste. Focus primarily on plastic waste.
- Research programs and available resources to encourage individual action by employees to reduce their impact on the environment. Assess the percentage of employees who are working from home and their carbon footprint. Develop recommendations for actions Invitae can take.
- Assess number of on-site and nearby Electric Vehicle charging stations and develop a plan with landlords to execute a program to install such chargers.
- Analyze all rating agencies’ reports on the Company and their rating criteria. Delve into our internal efforts and 2022 ESG report to reveal gaps and update agencies’ information with the goal of increasing ESG ratings. Develop list of heavily weighted criteria where Invitae could consider improving its ratings.
- Input data into spreadsheets or the ESG software platform as needed for the projects working on. Help to analyze the data.
- Take full responsibility for tasks including consistent self-review of work to identify and improve an approach for producing high-quality work products, while working under supervision.
- Constantly consider, share, and implement new ways to improve our analyses, data integrity and processes.
What you bring:
We are looking for a dynamic intern to complement our small full-time team and to accelerate the growth of Invitae's ESG efforts.
The ideal candidate will:
- Exhibit interest in relevant sustainability/ESG issues, in an academic, non-profit, corporate or prior internship setting
- Exceptional written communication skills; some experience with slide preparation desired but not required
- Strong organizational skills and ability to navigate multiple work projects simultaneously
- Superior interpersonal skills; able to communicate, influence and partner
- Strong initiative, analytical problem-solving ability, and sense of ownership when driving projects to completion
- Proficiency and experience working in Google Workplace applications desired but not required
- On path to a BA/BS from an accredited university; Masters and MBA candidates are also eligible
- This can be a remote position or close to existing ESG staff in the Bay Area or Seattle
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.