What Is Cool About This Job
This paid role will be a prime opportunity to acquire visibility into and make a meaningful contribution to a legal department in a rapidly growing technology company.
Your position will begin as a full-time summer internship, followed by ongoing part-time work during the school year(s). You will conduct the majority of your work at our downtown Austin office location.
The Day to Day
During the summer, you will work on one or more research topics assigned by the legal team and in line with your academic and/or professional interests. At the end of the summer, you will have the opportunity to present your work to the legal team and other internal partners, as well as any other WP Engine employees of your choosing.
You will also be given the chance to learn about and contribute to the general legal duties typical of an in-house team by assisting with day-to-day tasks and shorter-term ad hoc priorities throughout the summer and on a part-time basis thereafter. Such tasks may include but are not limited to:
- Develop and refine legal policies and processes
- Review and document key contract terms
- Assist with legal notices (including GDPR-related and DMCA takedown notices) to customers, vendors, and partners
- Assist with review and negotiation of commercial contracts, including vendor contracts and NDAs
- Handle requests from internal customers within the legal team's ticketing system
- Research laws and regulations related to WP Engine's unique legal issues
- Regularly interact with customers, internal business partners, and company management
Your Expertise and Passions
- Current law student
- Demonstrated interest in the role of the in-house legal team and how we partner with the business to achieve the company's overall strategic goals
- At least a rudimentary knowledge of technology and the tech industry
- Intellectual curiosity about WP Engine's services, WordPress, software-as-a-service as a business model, and related legal issues including intellectual property, contract drafting, and privacy and data protection
- Ability to prioritize effectively and work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Strong organizational skills
- Phenomenal teammate and collaborator – you will need to be a trusted business partner, and know when to ask questions and seek mentorship from in-house counsel
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills – you should be able to effectively explain complex legal and/or regulatory concepts and guidelines to non-legal audiences