Assistant General Counsel, Global Privacy and Data Security at Procore Technologies
We’re looking for an Assistant General Counsel, Global Privacy and Data Security to join Procore’s Legal team. In this role, you’ll oversee our global privacy program, working closely with stakeholders across the organization to help protect our customers’ data and ensure company-wide compliance with applicable privacy and data protection laws and regulations.
As a successful Assistant General Counsel, Global Privacy and Data Security, you’re a trusted advisor with a strong mindset for continuous improvement. You’re able to operate autonomously while being a collaborative team player who brings a positive, “can-do” attitude to the workplace and internal clients. Your deep knowledge of domestic and global privacy allow you to effectively calculate potential risks, manage workloads, and prioritize multiple client demands within a fast-paced, rapidly evolving environment.
This position will report to our Associate General Counsel, Product & IP and has the opportunity to be based in our Carpinteria, California headquarters or Austin, Texas office.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop, implement, and oversee Procore’s global privacy program, including developing and communicating controls, policies and procedures, performing risk assessments, monitoring ongoing compliance, and overseeing the intersection of privacy and data security in collaboration with the Cybersecurity team
- Advise appropriate stakeholders on compliance matters across all aspects of U.S. and applicable international privacy and data protection laws and regulations, including data retention, use/sharing, security, and breach rules
- Develop and enhance workflows and processes for responding to privacy-related inquiries, such as data subject access requests
- Lead the organization’s data incident response preparedness in collaboration with the Cybersecurity team, including practicing and evolving our data incident response plan
- Develop, manage, and refine our information governance and records management program, policies, and procedures, including ensuring alignment with privacy and security policies
- Advise the Marketing and Sales teams on privacy implications of various activities, including online advertising, cookie use, affiliate marketing, social networking, email, SMS, and other customer-facing communications
- Support the negotiation of contractual clauses relating to privacy and data protection
- Prepare and manage the implementation of internal and customer-facing privacy policies and related communications
- Keep the organization abreast, and advise on the potential business impact, of new, pending or proposed federal, state, and foreign legislation, laws, rules and regulations, as well as industry developments and trends, related to privacy, data security, and information governance that may affect the company and its operations
- Build close relationships with personnel in supported business operations, and developing and maintaining a strong knowledge of the products and objectives of those operations
- Conduct periodic employee training on relevant privacy, data security, and information governance-related matters
- Efficiently manage outside counsel in areas of coverage with an eye toward meeting budget objectives
What we’re looking for:
- J.D. with exceptional academic credentials
- Must be admitted, active and in good standing with the California or Texas state bar, as applicable, or eligible to apply as registered in-house counsel in either state
- 7-9+ years of dedicated privacy and data security counseling experience gained at a leading law firm and in-house (ideally at a global SaaS or other technology company) in roles of increasing responsibility
- Deep knowledge of domestic and global privacy laws and regulations, including GDPR and CCPA
- Experience with data privacy impact assessments and data mapping
- Understanding of cybersecurity aspects of global standards and frameworks, such as NIST, ISO 27001, and FedRAMP
- Experience advising multiple stakeholders across an organization, including R&D, IT/Cybersecurity, Marketing, and Sales
- CIPP certification and international experience are a strong plus
- Experience interacting directly with law enforcement personnel or privacy and data protection regulators a plus
- Passionate about technology and energized by the challenges of serving a dynamic, high-growth company
- Excellent written verbal communication skills and the ability to engage effectively with all levels of employees and management
- Highly analytical with exceptional business and legal issue identification and problem-solving skills
- Practical, business-oriented approach to problem-solving with the ability to effectively counsel internal clients by providing clear, concise, and commercial advice, and creative solutions where necessary, on established timelines to meet their business needs
Procore Technologies is building the software that builds the world. We provide cloud-based construction management software that helps clients more efficiently build skyscrapers, hospitals, housing complexes, and more. Our headquarters is located on the bluffs above the Pacific Ocean in Carpinteria, CA, with growing offices worldwide. Check us out on Glassdoor to see what others are saying about working at Procore!
We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome builders of all backgrounds. We thrive in a diverse, dynamic and inclusive environment. We do not tolerate discrimination against employees on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other classification protected by law.
Perks & Benefits
You are a person with dreams, goals, and ambitions—both personally and professionally. That's why we believe in providing benefits that not only match our Procore values (Openness, Optimism, and Ownership) but enhance the lives of our team members. Here are just a few of our benefit offerings: competitive health care plans, flexible paid time off (Procore Values Time), employee enrichment and development programs, and volunteer days.