Corporate Counsel - Transactions at Amherst
Amherst is revolutionizing the way U.S. real estate is priced, managed and financed in order to unlock opportunities for all market participants. Driven by data, analytics, and technology, Amherst has a 20-year history of anticipating where the next risks and opportunities are likely to emerge and designing actionable strategies for investors to capitalize on opportunities across residential real estate, commercial real estate and public securities. Amherst, along with its affiliates and subsidiaries, has more than 900 employees, $5 billion under management and approximately $15 billion under advisement and oversight. www.amherst.com.
The Amherst Residential (“AmRes”) platform provides a comprehensive suite of services to facilitate the ownership of single-family rental properties, including property management services, asset level financing and asset management services. With a deep understanding of and proprietary analytics on the single-family home and mortgage markets, Amherst's platform combines a unique combination of national scale with local market knowledge and execution. The Amherst Single Family Equity Division has raised more than $6b of debt and equity capital in investment vehicles that own and operate over 20,000 homes in 25+ markets across the United States.
We seek a talented and resourceful individual to join the AmRes Legal and Compliance team as Corporate Counsel. This position is based in Austin, TX and reports to the EVP, Secretary & Head of Legal for AmRes.
- Draft and negotiate joint venture agreement, purchase agreements, loan agreements, offering circulars and other documents relating to single family residential portfolios with top-tier institutional counterparties including private equity firms, investment banks, commercial lenders and other institutional investors;
- Coordinate and oversee the legal aspects of significant strategic initiatives, including but not limited to, mergers and acquisitions, major product development and regulatory matters, assessing legal impact and implications, recommending means for accomplishing desired legal objectives, and implementing decisions through necessary legal processes;
- Identify, analyze, and assess, including review and analysis of joint venture, financings and fund structures and drafting of related governing documentation and agreements; and
- Counsel team leaders on complex legal matters related to the company's compliance with securities, real property and other relevant laws; key legal risk areas pertaining to real estate investments and structuring; and general legal matters as appropriate.
- JD required; bar membership required; licensed to practice in the state of New York preferred.
- 3+ years in transactional real estate matters (or corporate joint ventures with real estate familiarity) at a nationally recognized, top tier law firm.
- Ability to run transaction to completion, work independently, exercise good judgment, and change direction or priorities on short notice.
- Attention to detail is critical; professionalism and customer-centricity are a must.
- Intelligent, energetic and goal-oriented with the ability to juggle multiple tasks, while exercising sound judgment.
- A self-starter with the ability to follow through and complete tasks in a highly intellectual, collaborative environment.
- Well-organized and detail-oriented.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- High competencies in strategic thinking and negotiation
Our full-time employee benefits include:
- A competitive compensation package, annual bonus, 401k match
- Flexible PTO including 7 paid holidays, 1 floating holiday, and 1 volunteer day
- Employer-paid benefits (medical, dental, vision, health savings account)
- Professional career development and reimbursement
- Up to 16 weeks paid maternity leave; up to 4 weeks of paid parental leave
- Backup childcare offered through Bright Horizons
- Relaxed casual environment with virtual office events
Amherst is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or veteran status, and encourage all applicants to apply.