Senior Marketing Competitive Intelligence Manager at BigCommerce
BigCommerce is disrupting the e-commerce industry as the SaaS leader for fast- growing, mid-market businesses. We enable our customers to build intuitive and engaging stores to support every stage of their growth.
The Senior Marketing Competitive Intelligence Manager will be responsible for analyzing the strengths and weaknesses of our competition, including product strategy, features, and messaging to help refine our competitive strategy and positioning. You will identify market trends, opportunities, and insights and distill your research and analysis into actionable insights to be used by product marketing, product management, marketing, sales, and executives to make informed decisions. You’ll establish processes using best in class methodologies for gathering competitive intel and create programs to easily articulate “the what”, “the so what” for marketing, product, strategy and sales teams. The ideal candidate is an excellent communicator and time manager with a strong experience in ecommerce and a passion for unpacking competitors and sharing knowledge to help shape marketing messaging, sales and product direction.What You’ll Do:
- Monitor and document technology trends, ecosystem developments, and competitive moves that influence customer needs.
- Gather intelligence by listening to recordings of sales calls via Gong, competitor and partner webinars.
- Assist with analyst relations including gathering and reviewing platform information from key stakeholders for analyst reports including the Gartner Magic Quadrant, Forrester Wave, and others.
- Identify changes in key competitors' website messaging and work closely with Product Marketing to suggest potential changes to the BigCommerce website messaging and positioning.
- Assist with Win/Loss including reviewing notes from win/loss calls handled by the Product Marketing team, and assist with win/loss reporting in Salesforce
- Research specific competitor features using secondary resources
- Assist with the creation and documentation of new competitive claims
- Become an expert on the ecommerce customers, building an understanding of their needs and the purchase decision process.
- Understand and provide analysis on current market and competitive trends specific to a number of key competitors.
- Leverage your competitive knowledge to work with Product Marketing to build compelling messaging and positioning for internal and external audiences, sales enablement, to be used across multiple touchpoints, including our website, PR / comms, and sales
- Be a competitive expert: work with the marketing team (including PR, comms, partner, acquisition, and customer engagement) to develop messaging and analysis to drive successful adoption of the platform and the features associated with the platform.
- 5+ years of related experience in ecommerce or competitive intelligence
- Direct experience in the ecommerce space, either as an entrepreneur, an e-commerce manager within a retailer, or a vendor to online retailers is a big plus
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office / Google Apps (Gmail, Docs, Spreadsheets, Presentations)
- Experience in related e-commerce categories (e.g. shipping, payments, web design) and the corresponding customer needs is a plus
- Strategic Thinker - Comfortable absorbing information from many external and internal sources and distilling it into actionable insights and recommendations for the business
- Technically Savvy - You pick up on technical things quickly, enjoy learning new skills, and are comfortable collaborating with and influencing product management and engineering teams
- Comfortable Around Higher Management - You deal comfortably with all levels of leadership, including executives, can present without undue tension and nervousness, and can determine the best way to get things done with them by talking their language and responding to their needs.
- Composed - You know how to remain collected in a fast-paced, high pressure, dynamic environment and carry out responsibilities with minimal direction.
- Customer Focused - You have a passion for solving real customer needs with technology and talking to them directly as well as through empathetic marketing messaging
- Personable - You are seen as positive, energetic, and exude a strong sense of teamwork by working effectively, respectfully, and efficiently with all team members.
- Driven - You manage projects on time in an ever-changing environment and steadfastly push yourself.
- Ethical - You believe in our mission, share our values and understand that it’s not just about what you get done, but also how you do it.