The Hustle is a fast-growing digital media company that provides smart business insights and analysis to an entrepreneurial-minded audience. We have over 1.5 million subscribers to our newsletter, The Daily, and over 10,000 members in our entrepreneurial and start-up community, Trends.
We're changing how media companies build brand loyalty. We’re growing at a crazy fast pace. And as one of our early hires, you will help us chart the course.
As the community manager for Trends, you’ll be responsible for making the Trends Facebook group the best entrepreneurship community on the Internet.
It’ll be your job to foster engagement, while enabling a melting pot of 8000+ (and quickly growing) entrepreneurs, operators, and investors to exist cohesively. You’ll be the mind behind community engagement, but also the operations and strategy behind a long-term community roadmap.
You’ll be responsible for everything from running online and offline events, launching new features for our subscribers, defining community guidelines, appointing and training group moderators, launching new industry subgroups, surveying and interviewing members of the community, working with our editorial team surfacing community stories, and more. You must be an adaptable self-starter capable of thinking critically about improving our continuously scaling community.
You’ll have the unique opportunity to meet and work directly with incredibly impressive creators, including the experts that we bring on weekly, like Shane Parrish, Julian Shapiro, and , or the incredible folks in the group, including Ryan Holmes (CEO/founder of Hootsuite), Andrew Warner (founder of Mixergy), or James Altucher (best-selling author).
The Trends community is the heart of the Trends product, so this role is integral in our success.
We encourage applications from candidates who have succeeded in a startup environment and we welcome candidates from non-traditional backgrounds and with different levels of experience. For us, having a person with the right mindset and temperament is most important.
- Developing key quarterly community KPIs that are measurable
- Developing and enforcing clear community guidelines
- Appointing and training group moderators
- Establishing a strong presence in the community by engaging daily, including: moderating low-quality or spammy posts, surfacing the best stories, connecting members that can benefit from one another, introducing new members, and launching new industry subgroups
- Running online and offline events (with the support of city ambassadors)
- Utilizing our onboarding data, covering subscriber industry, company size, interests, etc to identify new opportunities
- Defining a short and long-term roadmap of features for the community
- Integrating community with other key business units, including: constantly surveying or speaking with our community members and surfacing stories and feedback to other members of the team, working with the Trends PM on a robust online review system, and working with the Growth team on a robust testimonial system
- Making Trends the best entrepreneurial community on the Internet
Must - Have Qualities:
- Resourceful, self-directed, and capable of moving quickly
- Defaults to optimism, one of our company's core values
- Must be extremely driven, proactive, and curious about all-things-business and entrepreneurship
- Experience as a community manager or similar role
- Experience running (online and/or offline) events
- Experience launching new community initiatives
- Ability to clearly identify and track key community KPIs
- Previous experience with user research, digital marketing, and/or social media (note: this is not a social media role)
- Experience in a startup environment, where priorities can shift as the audience's needs evolve
- Personal experience starting or growing a business
Salary and Benefits:
- Competitive pay
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 401(k) plan
- Flexible Spending Account
- Commuter benefits
- Monthly book stipend
- Weekly team lunches
- Team happy hours and outings
- A chance to help create and shape a thriving culture and really put your vision to work
Read Full Job Description