Role: Director of Business Operations
Location: Austin, TX
Hippo is modernizing home insurance by putting customers at the center of everything we do. Using innovative technology and a data-driven approach, we strive to provide homeowners with the best policies, best value, and best customer service in the industry. And as if that isn’t enough, it’s really just the beginning. Hippo’s true ambition lies in helping prevent people from experiencing problems with their homes to begin with. Because, at the end of the day, the best home insurance policy is the one you never have to use.
About This Role
We’re seeking a Director of Business Operations to join our team based in Austin, TX. This is someone who is not afraid of rolling up their sleeves to quickly determine the potential around different opportunities, and then working with internal and external partners to build the highest potential opportunities into scaled new business practices. This individual thrives on working with multiple stakeholders across an organization, sourcing and building partnerships, solving highly analytical and operational problems, and driving growth-focused initiatives end-to-end.
- You have a proven ability to implement projects from ideation to execution and scaling, establishing clear directions and objectives in support of business needs
- You are able to collaborate across functional areas and with external partners to define, prioritize and implement key initiatives to hit or exceed business goals
- You have the intellectual horsepower to think through and address various different business problems in parallel
- Our Directors and Managers at Hippo are very hands-on. The expectation is that this role will be responsible and accountable for the main deliverables
- You have no ego and believe in true partnership and collaboration throughout the organization regardless of level, while still having the poise to drive action
- You are detail oriented, flexible and have the ability to interact with and influence a diverse set of internal and external stakeholders
- You have a desire to take initiative, comfort with ambiguity, and a bias towards action
- Reimagine our claims and customer experience operationally end-to-end
- Help drive the operational cadence of various pilots to evaluate and inform the scaling of new strategic initiatives
- Collaborate with multiple cross-functional partners, including product, engineering, sales, design, capital markets, finance and legal
- Develop business cases to inform leadership of the opportunity, rationale, and operational plan to scale prioritized ventures
- Efficiently communicate Hippo’s needs internally to our employees and externally to our partners
- Conduct qualitative and quantitative analyses and deliver insights to different stakeholders across claims and customer experience
- 15+ years of experience in strategy and business operations required. Management consulting experience at a big three firm strongly desired, but not required; will consider equivalent roles in corporate strategy, corporate development, etc.
- Excellent leadership skills. Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment and ability to both influence and develop strong partnerships at all levels
- Exceptional business judgment with the ability to create sound frameworks to drive towards decisions and organizational alignment
- Strong business intuition with the ability to understand consumer and partner psychology; ability to read between the lines of both quantitative and qualitative research
- A core analytical skill set: strong quantitative and analytical chops
- Bachelor’s degree; MBA from top-tier school desired
Compensation and Perks
- Healthy Hippos Benefits- 100% Employer paid medical, dental & vision plan options for our team members AND their families (yes, you read that correctly).
- Flexible Paid Time Off
- Little Hippos Program- We reimburse our team members up to $25k for adoption costs and up to $50k for infertility treatments. Plus, we offer 12 weeks parental leave for primary caregivers and 6 weeks for secondary caregivers.
- Hippo Meals & Snacks- We cater lunch in our office 3 times a week and we provide all the snacks & drinks our Hippos can handle daily.
- Hippo Habitat- Our beautiful, historic offices are located in downtown Austin at the corner of 6th & Congress.
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.