IT Systems Administrator at Invitae
Invitae is dedicated to bringing comprehensive genetic information into mainstream medicine to improve healthcare for billions of people. Our team is driven to make a difference for the patients we serve. We are leading the transformation of the genetics industry by making genetic testing affordable and accessible for everyone to guide health decisions across all stages of life.
Invitae's patented chemistry and powerful bioinformatics software have placed us at the bleeding edge of the fight against cancer and other genetic diseases. You'll join a multidisciplinary team focused on creating tools for the democratization of personalized medicine.
The IT Systems Administrator will utilize their IT system administrative skills and knowledge of server operating systems, cloud instances, databases, network infrastructure, directory services, and messaging systems to execute assigned projects. This person will also implement new technologies, provide excellent customer service, employ troubleshooting techniques and perform routine maintenance in response to identified needs and requests.
This role involves critical thinking and problem solving in concert with utilization of industry standard best practices for IT systems deployment. This person will also engage in efforts to support, resolve & document issues that arise in the environment, which may include reviewing designs & recommending improvements to the architecture.
What you’ll do:
- Design and plan improvements to our cloud-based environments to support compliance requirements, performance optimization, redundancy and scalability
- Configure, deploy, and manage cloud-based network infrastructure components, including access policies, security groups, host servers, and storage systems
- Provision and maintain Windows and Linux server operating systems, including server setup, installation, administration, security configurations and assist with internal support needs • Ensure data retention, availability, scalability, backup and recovery of on-prem and cloud-based solutions
- Diagnosis, troubleshoot, and consult with end users of these systems to resolve issues • Define appropriate standards, policies, procedures, software toolsets, and supporting peripherals to facilitate the management, accountability and functionality of system/databases and applications • Contribute to development of system/architecture roadmaps to meet business requirements and implement enhancements in support realization of the roadmap
- Work with and collaborate with other technical teams within the organization to share ideas and best practices on deployment (e.g. infrastructure as code) and securing cloud systems and services • Create and maintain up-to-date documentation of services and functions.
- Follow established policies, SOPs and best practices to ensure operational excellence and efficient workflow
- Execute data management and disaster recovery procedures for system/database • Operate and execute change control process for deployment of system/database software across GMP validated and Non-GMP environments
- Execute system/database log review, maintenance, system/database performance tuning and optimization, job verification and scheduling
- Ensure security is integrated into all IT system/application/database solutions and after patching or upgrades to the systems with assistance from the cybersecurity team
- Proactively ensure the highest levels of systems and infrastructure availability
- Follow trends in technology and lead new approaches to scalability and high availability of distributed cloud architecture & services
- Review, understanding, and compliance with FDA, HIPAA & GDPR Security policies and procedures • Safeguarding the privacy and security of protected health information and European Union personal data
What you bring:
- 4+ years of hands-on experience as a system/database (Microsoft Server & MS SQL) administrator
- Experience administering multiple (Prod, Stage, Test) AWS based server environments as well as solid understanding of AWS EC2, S3, VPC, Cloudwatch and Cloudtrail
- Experience with SQL procedures and functions, and performance tuning and enhancement of SQL • Strong foundation of fundamental IT knowledge including LAN/WAN technologies and IP protocols such as HTTP, DNS, DHCP, NTP, CIFS including TCP/IP networking (IPv4/IPv6)
- Strong experience with installing and administering Windows in a Directory-based environment; experienced with Directory Services such as MS Active Directory and 3rd party providers that utilize SAML 2.0 for integration
- Strong analytical, organizational and problem-solving skills, excellent communication skills and the ability to provide technical leadership in assigned areas to technical and non-technical people
- Ability to work in a fast paced and dynamic environment
- High energy, self-motivated, approachable and articulate team player
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Strong interpersonal and team working skills
- Strong attention to detail demonstrating accuracy
- Great problem-solving skills; able to anticipate and recognize problems, diagnose root causes and take corrective action to prevent recurrence
- Flexibility to adjust quickly and effectively to frequent change and altered priorities
- Ability to adapt to new technologies and changing environments
- Focus of customer service and the drive to create and foster a culture of innovation, inclusivity and transparency
- Demonstrated ability to understand business processes, troubleshooting issues, root cause analysis and suggesting and configuring solutions that foremost address the business problems
- Demonstrate continuous effort to improve service offerings, operations, decrease turnaround times and streamline work processes
- Demonstrate a sense of urgency to help internal customers
- Strong background in developing and maintaining effective internal IT processes
- Preferred: Familiar with ITIL practices such as change, configuration, and/or knowledge management
- Preferred: 5+ years of relevant experience in regulated life sciences supply chains
- Preferred: Experience supporting and administering Syncade MES
- Preferred: Understand ISA-95 standards and Industry 4 concepts
- Health, dental, vision, short- and long-term disability, and basic life insurance coverage
- Paid time off, holiday pay, parental leave, and other health and wellness supports
Expected Pay Rate in Colorado from $100,000.00
Compensation for the role will depend on a number of factors, including a candidate’s geographic location, qualifications, skills, competencies and experience and may fall outside of the range shown.
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.