Smarter Sorting is in an incredible position. The company has created the product needed to make the circular economy possible. We have landed giant customers, 3 of the largest retailers on the planet, and over 1,150 suppliers, including half of the top 10 consumer product manufacturers worldwide. We are, in fact, changing the world.
Operationally speaking, our contracted revenue has eclipsed our monthly expenses. We’ve grown to a level where we have a complex set of systems and talented teams. Those systems and teams need to deliver at pace while ensuring alignment, engagement, and precision coordination across functions.
This is where you come in.
The Vice President of Accountability is a critical new team member, essential to helping us achieve Smarter Sorting’s purpose in the market and with our own team. The VP Accountability will be inspired by helping people live up to their individual and team level promises for their own good and that of the business. They will hold Smarter Sorting team members accountable for following through on commitments, with focused alignment to the company’s vision and customer needs. They’ll be excited to flex their ability to speak truth to power and ask the questions others are afraid to ask.
Ultimately, they will play a key role in driving an even healthier, productive, and more profitable organization.
- Are data and metric-oriented
- Are a lifelong learner and have the mistakes to prove it
- Are known for your ability to ask tough questions
- You seek to understand before jumping to conclusions
- Have a disdain for mediocrity
- Are a master of tools essential to driving projects process (e.g. Gantt charts, Excel models)
- Have never met a process you can’t improve
- Speak truth to power
- Understand the most important work and key projects happening in the company, milestones we must meet, and the dependencies among those
- Stand up and run the Project Management Office (PMO)
- Establish the process for how work gets done, how project status is communicated
- Hire new project managers in line with company growth and objectives
- Develop high potential team members and exit underperforming team members at pace
- Hold direct report and functional leads accountable for deadlines and to metrics
- Provide weekly reporting on all company initiatives including on-track status and performance against metrics
- Ensure the core processes are known and followed by all teams in service of company goals
- Establish the escalation process and path to resolution to triage off course initiatives
- Ensure project documentation is comprehensive, standardized, and easily communicated across teams
- Document project expectations in concert with initiative/ team leads
- Translate and understand our CEOs vision and communicate it in an action-oriented manner to the team
- Build trust and relationships with core team members via consistent and objective application of goals focused metrics to our work
Skills and Qualifications:
- Track record of success driving multiple teams to deliver work in a fast-paced environment
- Have set-up and run at least 1 successful PMO
- Experience working with data and software engineers in a startup environment
- Ability to translate among technology, support, operational, sales and marketing teams
- Deep knowledge and experienced application of Project Management principles
- Successful turnaround of at least 5-7 core functions within a company
- Effective communicator - verbal and written
- Strong ability to influence to drive action
- Track record of consistent objectivity even in ambiguous situations
- Relentless in pursuit of getting things done the right way
- Ability to stay calm under pressure and make fact-based decisions
- PMP or equivalent certification
Nice to Have
- Interest in sustainability
- Has operated using EOS (Traction)
- Background in armed forces or similarly structured environments a plus
Our Commitment to You:
- We will show you the ropes and rapidly integrate you into our work and culture
- You will have access to information and key performance indicators to measure progress toward goals - where it’s missing, we’ll close the gaps
- You will have the latitude and internal forums in which to express and escalate concerns you observe across the business
- You will have the support and resources required to resolve the problems and/ or misalignments in a timely manner
- We will grow your compensation (salary + stock options) at pace with your performance
Your Benefits & Perks
Competitive Compensation Packages
Medical, dental & vision insurance
Short-term disability insurance
Generous Parental Leave
Unlimited Paid Time Off
Continuing Education Sponsorship
Bi-Annual All-Hands, Volunteering & Special Events (with baby goats in attendance)
Unlimited snacks & drinks
You choose us not only because this is the role you’ve been waiting for, but also because we are a purpose-driven company committed to our mission. You’ll be joining a group of machine learning experts, successful serial entrepreneurs, data scientists, sustainability experts, recovering consultants and national account program managers whose passion for data-driven sustainability drives us. You choose us because our values resonate with you. At Smarter Sorting this means: We do what it takes. We begin from a position of curiosity. We are driven to become experts. We are real. We have grit. You share our belief that a healthy culture is key to the company’s success and more importantly our employees’ happiness.
Better decisions. Better data. Greener planet. All made possible by the best people. Come join our team!
At Smarter Sorting, we understand that a workforce that includes a robust mix of genders, ages, ethnicities, religions and socioeconomic backgrounds is more likely to reflect a variety of perspectives and thought patterns - leading to more innovation, brainstorming, problem-solving and strategizing. That is why we are committed to building a diverse and inclusive environment and strongly encourage candidates from historically underrepresented groups to apply.